Glyptodon tail Vertebrae segment

Mike Doran

• New Members

I found a Glyptodon tail segment yesterday from a pleistocene deposit in North Texas. Hoping to find more of it!

PXL_20240908_175541278.jpg

PXL_20240908_164619803.jpg

PXL_20240908_164305205.jpg

PXL_20240908_164248033~2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 12

Wow, that is a great find! I have never heard of one of these being found before.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Fantastic Find  !!! 1st time I have seen such a complete tail segment found in the field.  

https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/140004-a-trip-to-a-university-research-lab/

You can see by this tail segment that these can get lots bigger... I wonder if there are different species in Texas or your find is just a juvenile!

IMG_5508.thumb.JPG.3adb9acf23ceb8b4c7c9588c22070b31.JPG

You can see on this 

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• New Members
7 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Fantastic Find  !!! 1st time I have seen such a complete tail segment found in the field.  

https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/140004-a-trip-to-a-university-research-lab/

You can see by this tail segment that these can get lots bigger... I wonder if there are different species in Texas or your find is just a juvenile!

IMG_5508.thumb.JPG.3adb9acf23ceb8b4c7c9588c22070b31.JPG

You can see on this 

I'm starting to think it might be Dasypus bellus?

2 hours ago, Mike Doran said:

I'm starting to think it might be Dasypus bellus?

Thanks for the quick response

So, we have Glyptodonts in Florida and we have Giant Armadillos in Florida who are not Glyptodonts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmesina.  We also have Dasypus bellus.

They have a genus name of Holmesina and I am asking Texas TFF members if Holmesina existed in the Texas fossil fauna because the scute on Mike find look more like Holmesina to me and are about the same sized tail.

@Brandy Cole @garyc  picture reconstruction of Holmesina from Wikipedia above.

220px-Holmesina_floridanus_life_reconstruction.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

7 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

They have a genus name of Holmesina and I am asking Texas TFF members if Holmesina existed in the Texas fossil fauna because the scute on Mike find look more like Holmesina to me and are about the same sized tail.

Yes, holmesina existed here in the fossil record, and I agree it looks more consistent with holmesina by size.  

My glyptodont tail vertebra was much larger. I'll try to post a photo with measurements later. 

Still, a fantastic find!  :envy:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks for the quick response

So, we have Glyptodonts in Florida and we have Giant Armadillos in Florida who are not Glyptodonts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmesina.  We also have Dasypus bellus.

@Brandy Cole @garyc  picture reconstruction of Holmesina from Wikipedia above.

220px-Holmesina_floridanus_life_reconstruction.jpg

I thought Mike’s find looked awfully small, but was not familiar with how far down towards the tip of the tail vertebrae may extend. I agree that the surrounding osteoderms do look more like holmesina

Edited by garyc
  • I Agree 1

• New Members

Thanks for the information. Let me know if what you find out about if they existed in Texas 

@garyc is saying, that yes, Holmesina existed in Texas.  As did pretty much all the Florida pleistocene land animals.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

10 minutes ago, fossilus said:

@garyc is saying, that yes, Holmesina existed in Texas.  As did pretty much all the Florida pleistocene land animals.

Just by being on the forum,  I realized that many/most? of the Pliocene_Pleistocene fauna that I find in SW Florida  also occur in Texas.  However , I have never seen a write_up on what and what not falls into the overlap and whether or not most of the overlap is found in the opposing coasts of the Gulf of Mexico. So I am tentative on identifications of Texas fauna.  

@Shellseeker Dugong are considered so rare as to be virtually non-existent here, and whale and dolphin material seem to be much rarer here--at least in rivers.  Maybe whale and dolphin are more common finds on the coast.  But I think dugong is the biggest major distinction I could find in my studies where Florida has it in abundance and we really don't.

@Mike Doran Your find appears to me to be holmesina, and they did exist in Texas.  

Although both species can sometimes be called "giant armadillos," holmesina were smaller than glyptodonts.

I'm attaching a picture of a glyptodont tail vertebra I found in South Texas.  This piece, which is not complete, runs roughly 7 inches wide by 7 inches tall.  

PXL_20240910_214429047~2.jpg

I think tapir is another difference between FL and TX.  I've heard they are pretty rare in TX, and in KS they are basically unobtainium.

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea