Could fossil prep be a break-even (or even possibly profitable) hobby for a teenager looking to make a few dollars?

loneboat

• New Members

I have a teenage daughter who is into fossils. Mostly browsing online stores and buying simple trilobites etc. She has shown some interest in learning how to prep fossils, but we aren't in a position to bankroll a new hobby for her.

I was wondering if it might be feasible to buy unpreppared fossils (e.g. we've seen trilobite lots on online auction site, still covered in matrix), and prep/sell them on online auction site or elsewhere for a small profit (at least enough to cover the equipment and supplies). From what I've looked up you can get good results from a dremel'ish tool (forget what it's called) and a sandblasting rig.

Would this be reasonable? Or are the profit margins so thin that it would not be worth the effort?

(edit: By "not worth the effort" I mean moneywise - I'm sure the hobby can be a rewarding one if she enjoys it. I mean more like, could she feasibly make back the cost of the equipment over several months or so)

Edited by loneboat

On TFF, we do not discuss profit making, prices, etc.  If your daughter is interested enough, I would approach it with the angle of not making money prepping fossils that way your not disappointed.  It is fun though, I can attest to that. :)

• I found this Informative 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

• New Members
5 minutes ago, Jaybot said:

On TFF, we do not discuss profit making, prices, etc.  If your daughter is interested enough, I would approach it with the angle of not making money prepping fossils that way your not disappointed.  It is fun though, I can attest to that. :)

Thanks!

LOL! Thats a deep question! You can start out prepping fossils fairly cheaply. The question is would she like doing it? It can be very rewarding enjoyment wise but not everyone has the patience for it. I’d start out with an impact dremel ( not a rotary) some picks, eye protection, breathing protection and see if she even likes it first.

once you get into the air abraider (not sandblasting) you’re talking hundred of dollars.

here my first start tools to prepping. I dont know how many partially prepped fossils I’ve gotten from people that started, decided they didn’t like it and gave them to me.

IMG_0092.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

• New Members
2 minutes ago, Randyw said:

LOL! Thats a deep question! You can start out prepping fossils fairly cheaply. The question is would she like doing it? It can be very rewarding enjoyment wise but not everyone has the patience for it. I’d start out with an impact dremel ( not a rotary) some picks, eye protection, breathing protection and see if she even likes it first.

once you get into the air abraider (not sandblasting) you’re talking hundred of dollars.

here my first start tools to prepping. I dont know how many partially prepped fossils I’ve gotten from people that started, decided they didn’t like it and gave them to me.

IMG_0092.jpeg

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. She is a reclusive sort, and loves projects where she can sort of get "in her zone" and work on something for hours at a time. I think she really might really enjoy it.

I'll look at the impact dremels - thanks for the recommendations.

One thing though, fossil prep takes A LOT of time and A LOT of patience, especially since I've been mostly prepping late Cretaceous marine vertebrates out of limestone. I usually use vinegar (please do research before you use vinegar, only some rocks, and some fossils work) and hand tools, I don't use power tools, I have a cheap hand held battery powered Dremel from Bunnings (our home depot type store) it worked fine but it ran out of battery fast and is missing a part to keep the bit in it, so the bit falls out when I prep stuff so I don't use it now.

Definitely underline Patience.  It's really what differentiates between an average prepper and a master (along with years of experience.)  Hence why I'm average :D

• Enjoyed 1

-Jay

54 minutes ago, loneboat said:

sort of get "in her zone" and work on something for hours at a time

LOL! I’m the same! But make sure she takes breaks! The vibration from the tools can make your hand go numb if you dont rest it some. I put on a pair of cordless headphones start a playlist and away I go! Oh and expect a lot of dust! But as others have also mentioned patience! Slow and steady makes a heck of a difference. And I can not stress the importance of ear and eye protection! Be sure to post pictures of her projects! And feel free to ask advice! The only dumb question is the one not asked. 

Unless you own a quarry and prep them yourself, it is probably not a large money making activity. Most importantly is to have fun and stay safe. Acquiring knowledge will be a major benefit. The best that you can hope for is to partially subsidise your hobby. 

I hope that  @Ptychodus04 can chime in on the ins and outs of prepping fossils. Making money is not the only important aspect.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• New Members
34 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Making money is not the only important aspect.

Oh her primary motivation is definitely not money potential. We're hoping she can get into it because we think she'd really enjoy it. I was just wondering if it can at least (even if only partially) subsidize the costs. But the primary reason for doing it would be the enjoyment.

11 minutes ago, loneboat said:

Oh her primary motivation is definitely not money potential. We're hoping she can get into it because we think she'd really enjoy it. I was just wondering if it can at least (even if only partially) subsidize the costs. But the primary reason for doing it would be the enjoyment.

In that case, possibly yes :) 

-Jay

I think the return on investment here is very possible within a few months with the setup Randy posted. Anything more than that though I think you may be looking at a year or so before costs are fully accounted for. All depends on time availability to the hobby. Some things take days to clean, some take weeks, and some take months or more.  Really has to be something you enjoy and, as people mentioned, have the patience for (which I do not).  In short, I would start with the simple set up and, if she enjoys it, have the returns there subsidize other equipment.

*Frank*

I do know an actual prepper who's job is to, and has been to prep fossils for decades. I could ask him questions when I get home.

But yes a simple set up is all you need, not much. I have heard you can make sandblasters for cheap, I've been thinking about it, but you do not need one.

8 hours ago, loneboat said:

No,

To do it well enough you she will need hours and hours of practice.

The cost for an set up to do that quality work it can cost thousands of dollars!

The set up randy showed is great,! though it will take to long to complete a prep to be feasible for making money.

My advice is to do it for yourself then sell the fossils for more than you bought them unprepared.

• I Agree 1

Cheers!

James

You can prep without fancy equipment, but it takes longer.  Someone new to prep will also take a lot longer to finish a project than someone experienced (obviously).  So, can you make more selling prepped fossils than you paid for them?  Yes, but dont look at it from a $$$/hour perspective.   If you do, you'll be better off working for minimum wage.  If its enjoyable, and learning a new skill, and not interfering with regular school activities, then I think it would be a good "paying hobby" to try out.

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

I don't disagree with anything stated above. The real benefit of prepping is the tangible result of your efforts. Can you recoup expenses? Definitely. You can set up a decently functional prep lab for around $1k. It will take a while for her to get to a level where her prep is good enough to do work for others but that will come with practice.

I started prepping with a small hammer and a drywall screw used as a makeshift chisel. It is SLOW but you can get decent results. After nearly 30 years, my equipment has been significantly upgraded (I won't scare you with the price tag) but the lessons learned in the beginning are key to prepping well. There's a really good book she should read called "Vertebrate Paleontological Techniques, Volume 1". It was intended to be the start of a series but never had a volume 2. It is a treasure trove of info on preparation, excavation, field techniques, etc. Every prepper really should read it. It's somewhat outdated but the skills haven't really changed much. The tools just get better.

Cultivate a relationship with a local rock shop owner. She can likely work out a deal to sell her stuff there on consignment or sell to them directly at a wholesale rate.

• Enjoyed 2

• New Members
1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

There's a really good book she should read called "Vertebrate Paleontological Techniques, Volume 1". It was intended to be the start of a series but never had a volume 2. It is a treasure trove of info on preparation, excavation, field techniques, etc. Every prepper really should read it. It's somewhat outdated but the skills haven't really changed much. The tools just get better.

Thanks for the book recommendation - we'll definitely look for it!

3 minutes ago, loneboat said:

Thanks for the book recommendation - we'll definitely look for it!

It’s available on Amazon but it’s expensive. You may be able to find a digital version somewhere. I’m pretty old school and prefer paper over digital.

• I Agree 1