The lower section of the humerus bone or a petrified animal bone fragment?

LostandFound

I found this possible bone fragment yesterday while exploring the Brazos River banks in Texas. It was located on the surface of a sandbar riddled with petrified wood. It feels like a lightweight stone, and based on my limited research online, it looks like the lower section of the humerus bone. Are there any estimates on how old this item might be? If it is a human bone and it's ancient, it should go to a museum. Thoughts?IMG_2711.thumb.jpeg.cd0dcfe21e5bc74b7b77659796cc73ee.jpeg

IMG_2712.jpeg

IMG_2713.jpeg

IMG_2715.jpeg

IMG_2717.jpeg

IMG_2718.jpeg

IMG_2719.jpeg

IMG_2720.jpeg

IMG_2721.jpeg

IMG_2725.jpeg

IMG_2726.jpeg

IMG_2727.jpeg

IMG_2728.jpeg

Edited by LostandFound

• LostandFound changed the title to The lower section of the humerus bone or a petrified animal bone fragment?

From what I understand, I believe this is mammal material, which I don't study, hopefully the experts will help!

• Thank You 1

I posted this under a different category yesterday, so I wanted to try again for more assistance in identifying this item I found on the banks/bottom of the Brazos River in South Texas. It was in an area riddled with petrified wood. It feels like a lightweight stone. I am no medical doctor, but based on the internet, this resembles the trochlea, a spool-shaped medial portion of the distal humerus. How long does it take for bone to get to this stage? This might help determine what it might be, too. If it's not human, what mammal could it belong to? Thank you for your assistance.

IMG_2711.jpeg

IMG_2712.jpeg

IMG_2713.jpeg

IMG_2715.jpeg

IMG_2717.jpeg

IMG_2718.jpeg

IMG_2719.jpeg

IMG_2728.jpeg

IMG_2720.jpeg

IMG_2722.jpeg

IMG_2727.jpeg

20 minutes ago, LostandFound said:

I posted this under a different category yesterday, so I wanted to try again for more assistance in identifying this item I found on the banks/bottom of the Brazos River in South Texas. It was in an area riddled with petrified wood. It feels like a lightweight stone. I am no medical doctor, but based on the internet, this resembles the trochlea, a spool-shaped medial portion of the distal humerus. How long does it take for bone to get to this stage? This might help determine what it might be, too. If it's not human, what mammal could it belong to? Thank you for your assistance.

TOPICS MERGED

One topic is enough.  ;)

FOSSIL ID  is the correct sub-forum for this. NOT GENERAL FOSSIL DISCUSSION.

Patience is required to get good information.

Not everyone is online all the time. Sometimes, it can take days or weeks to get a good ID.

Please be patient, and wait for more input from other members.

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes to humerus.  Looks like something from xenarthra.

Edited by fossilus
  • Thank You 1

This is a distal megalonyx humerus that I found a few weeks ago.  You might also compare to glyptodon or paramylodon.

IMG_20240910_105515130_AE.jpg

IMG_20240910_105521993_AE.jpg

IMG_20240910_105544044_AE.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I wouldn’t rule out human humerus. Maybe you could have it examined in a museum? 

• Thank You 1

Thank you both for your input. I am working to get ahold of someone at one of my local museums for a visual analysis and will report back my findings to this thread. 

• I Agree 1

Distal humerus is correct. I think this is carnivoran. Closest fit I can find is actually Smilodon.

• Thank You 1

Here is a piece of distal end of a human humerus in my collection. Just for comparison. Not really sure if it matches. I think carnivore humerus is different in size and shape and also with the foramen etc. But better show it to an expert.

human humerus1.JPG

human humerus2.JPG

human humerus3.JPG

human humerus4.JPG

human humerus5.JPG

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, jdp said:

Distal humerus is correct. I think this is carnivoran. Closest fit I can find is actually Smilodon.

This is a real possibility.  I thought this was too wide for the carnivores, but smilodon distal humerus is listed as having a width of 98mm to 128mm as found at rancho LA Brea. Which is like 4-5  in.

Yours is even smaller, so you might also look at Jaguar.

Edited by fossilus
  • Thank You 1

All this information is AMAZING.

I have emailed my local Natural History Museum and am awaiting their response.

More research shows that it's a distal humerus fracture, which isn't common in animals but more common in humans. However, an animal could have fallen down a steep hill into a riverbed and sustained the same injury.

Either way, all of this detective work is quite exciting.

Thanks for everyone's input. 

• I Agree 1