Amphidonte walkerii or something else?

Shaun-DFW Fossils

Hi everyone! I had a relatively successful hunt at my favorite local johnson county (Texas) creek that has nice Fort Worth formation exposures and I found this massive oyster (?). I left part of the outer shell which was affixed to the surrounding matrix like the frame of a house, I couldn’t free it without more time and effort. I’m thinking amphidonte walkerii, what do you think?

IMG_5720.jpeg

IMG_5721.jpeg

IMG_5722.jpeg

Likely Amphidonte walkerii. I think that you have a steinkern (st) and not the larger valve with a curved beak and growth lines like a previous post that you made. The piece marked “shell” looks like the inside of the smaller upper? valve. My recollection from the same oysters from the Fort Worth  Fm. near Lake Texoma was that there were no other large oysters of that general size and shape that exist in the Fort Worth. So, it is probably a Amphidonte walkerii.

IMG_1704.jpeg

IMG_1703.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Likely Amphidonte walkerii. I think that you have a steinkern (st) and not the larger valve with a curved beak and growth lines like a previous post that you made. The piece marked “shell” looks like the inside of the smaller upper? valve. My recollection from the same oysters from the Fort Worth  Fm. near Lake Texoma was that there were no other large oysters of that general size and shape that exist in the Fort Worth. So, it is probably a Amphidonte walkerii.

IMG_1704.jpeg

IMG_1703.jpeg

Thank you! That makes sense, I think you’re right. I appreciate the input!