Megalodon tooth consolidant application for conservation?

Footfootprint

• New Members

So I have recently aquired a rather large megalodon tooth from Indonesia in excellent condition and, needless to say, it wasn't cheap. I want to make sure if lasts in good shape while I'm alive, at least , haha.  So, other than the storage and handling itself (separate topic), I have three questions regarding the preservation of the tooth against any potential long-term degradation from temperature/moisture and consolidants:

1. Should I apply any type of consolidant to preserve it?
  2. If so, should I apply it to the root only, or also to the hairline cracks in the tooth crown, where the underlying matrix is itself microscopically exposed to the elements?
  3. Also, Is there a consolidant that has a neutral, non-glossy appearance after application? (I dislike the unnatural glossy look that paraloid B-72 and other acrylic consolidants give fossils after application.   At the same time, if I'm applying it to the crown as well, those are naturally lustrous, so a substance that would leave a matte look after application is also undesirable as it would degrade the beautiful look of the tooth crown.)

tooth anatomy, simplified.jpg

I have handled tons o'meg. I have never handled one that I thought needed any protection via consolidant. In my experience cracks in the crown are very common and show no tendency to issues. Megs are, by virtue of their "toothness," one tough fossil. However, I am vaguely aware that material from Indonesia is often found with a severely eroded or missing root; while the enamel blade is pristine. I am guessing that your material is best scrutinized with that in mind. Is the root material granular or flaky? Any signs of instability? My take is; no worries without intervention. However, as confessed, I've never touched a tooth of Indonesian origin. Good luck, have fun. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

• New Members
42 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Is the root material granular or flaky? Any signs of instability?

I just ordered the tooth and its on its way, so I have to wait to inspect it myself. The root looked nice and consolidated, but I want to gather opinions and advice regarding these fossils ahead of time.  Indeed many of the Indonesian teeth come from porous sandstone that seems like their roots would degrade over time depending on air relative humidity and such, but this one looked to be solid.

20230525_172314.jpg

Edited by Footfootprint
typos

I would definitely inspect the root first to make sure nothing has been repaired on it before putting anything on it.  I see a couple spots that could possibly be repaired, so you should check that first to avoid dissolving any glue, paint, etc. that has already been used for repair.  

Edited by Fin Lover

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

1 hour ago, Footfootprint said:

ordered the tooth

Pretty tooth.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

• New Members
1 hour ago, Fin Lover said:

I would definitely inspect the root first to make sure nothing has been repaired on it before putting anything on it.  I see a couple spots that could possibly be repaired, so you should check that first to avoid dissolving any glue, paint, etc. that has already been used for repair.  

yes, good tip, thanks.

1 hour ago, Fin Lover said:

I see a couple spots

You think you can mark them on the photo?

• New Members
3 hours ago, Fin Lover said:

these areas stood out to me

Awesome, thank you for that, this is why I came here, for experienced eyes to aid me.

I've yet to see a shark tooth that needed consolidation. That being said, it could happen. The only part that you could consolidate is the root. Enamel will not absorb anything (in my experience). Once you have it in hand, if it doesn't look like it is trying to fall apart on its own, it will likely outlast many generations of humans.

• I Agree 2