Could this be a Fossil Jellyfish?

Primigenia

• New Members

Hi all! this is my first post, and wanted to show you this 🌊 Rare Find - Could this be a Jellyfish? 🤔

Check out this incredibly rare find, It has some features that resemble a prehistoric jellyfish, but I'm not 100% sure. This find is truly unique and could represent a significant piece of our planet's marine history.

What do you think? Could this be a jellyfish fossil or something else? Drop your thoughts in the comments and let’s see what the fossil community thinks! 

IMG20240905182038.jpg

IMG20240905182049.jpg

IMG20240905182111.jpg

• Primigenia changed the title to Could this be a Fossil Jellyfish?

You will need to provide location information.

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members

Ok sure ;)

Found at Costa Azahar, Spain, according to maps is quaternary period.

Edited by Primigenia
  • Thank You 1

Welcome to the forum.  Some general information is needed for IDs: location found (city or county and state) and size of the item.  Hands or other items aren't preferable since they can vary significantly.  

• I found this Informative 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

Still quite a large area you are talking about. :unsure:

I am not familiar with the area, or the time period, so I will let others answer as to what you may have found.

Personally, they look like sedimentary structures to me.  :shrug:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It looks like a sandstone (2) with clasts of limestone (1). The weathering in the clasts  with ridges looks like the dissolution of limestone. Are you able to see if the clasts (1) with ridges react (fizz) with an acid such as HCl? Try the acid in areas outside of the clasts (2). What happens?

IMG_1697.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

very unlikely since jellyfish have no hard parts. its much more likely to be geological in nature

One way that clasts like this form is in turbidite. There can be fossils in the clasts, or some of the clasts can be fossils. Often, they are poorly preserved. I can imagine this being coral that isn't quite recognizable. 

Jellyfish prints can be found in rare cases. In Solnhofen it is even relatively common for - usually very indistinct - imprints to be found. But they can also be found in Aix-en-Provence, France, and Painten, Germany.

The stripe-like pattern speaks against a jellyfish imprint in one direction, while the jellyfish impressions show more round structures.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

13 hours ago, anonaddict said:

very unlikely since jellyfish have no hard parts. its much more likely to be geological in nature

upon reflection this was a bad comment since there are jellyfish fossils out there as other people have pointed out

specifically it is not how I would expect a jellyfish fossil to look, as Oilshale mentioned jellyfish fossils are often very indistict imprints due to the fossilization process while yours are very distinct 3d structures looking like actual jellyfish which is why i believe it is more likely to be a product of geological processes creating something that can be mistaken for something else

i should also clarify im by no means an expert so take everything i say with a grain of salt