Fosill+Track Hunting In Ct And Ma

bangalifossil

I am leading a group of half-a-dozen kids (and their parents) from a community organization in NY on a camping trip in central MA. We will be driving through central CT area. (In past years we had great success in similar camping + fossil hunting + other fun things like rafting/birding etc. near St. Clair, PA area and near Big Brook, NJ area.)

I would appreciate advice from members on possible sites for fossil+track hunting/exploring given our route and camping location. Based on earlier discussions on this site (thank you), I am aware of the following "possibilities" in CT and MA:

(1) Dinosaur State Park near Hartford, CT: The exhibits are great, but I suspect there is no opportunity to hunt for tracks/fossils

(2) Nash Dinosaur Track and Store near South Hadley, MA: Not sure if there is any opportunity to hunt for tracks/fossils

(3) Bluff head, North Guilford: again, a bit out-of-the-way, and I am not even sure if its allowed to explore here.

There's a small area of Triassic deposits in Southbury, CT, but most of it is along the Connecticut river valley. Are there other sites we should be aware of? Any help on this topic, which would ultimately foster deeper interest in science and exploration in these kids, would be greatly appreciated.

raja

Hello raja.

Unfortunately, there is not much in the way of available fossil hunting in these areas. The Dinosaur State Park and Bluff Head are just that, ... State Parks. No collecting allowed. Not sure about the Mass. Sites.

The Southbury area I believe is actually on the riverbank, ie - boat access,... but I don't know of anyone who has found it. Best bet is to go to DSP and make it a field trip rather than a collecting trip.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me