Can anyone please tell me what this is?

Laurance

I can understand why you think that this might be a mushroom, but unfortunately it is not. The "cap" is an interestingly shaped mineral vein, probably calcite, although I think I might be seeing a bit of beekite on it, and the "stem" looks to be a coarse sandstone or limestone.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Some areas of the part that resembles the "cap" look like a fenestrate bryozoan but just a bit off. It's not a mushroom, although I can see the resemblance and completely understand why you might think it is. 

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

3 minutes ago, Laurance said:

Thank you. I didn’t see how a mushroom could fossilize in such good shape.

Fossilized mushrooms are VERY VERY VERY EXTREMELY RARER THAN RARE. This is one of the better imitators and worth collecting. Mushrooms turn into unidentifiable very quickly. I would campare it to spitting on the ground and hoping it will fossilize.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

To me the "cap" actually looks like a brachiopod valve with beekite. As others said, the "stem" seems to be sedimentary rock and fossil hash.

• I Agree 3

Just now, Thomas.Dodson said:

To me the "cap" actually looks like a brachiopod valve with beekite. As others said, the "stem" seems to be sedimentary rock and fossil hash.

Snap! :)

• Enjoyed 2

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png