Fossil Hunting In Northern Virgina

bangalifossil

I am going on a trip to northern Virgina area (Springfield, VA) with my 70+yr old father who is very keen on fossil hunting. (My father is now visiting from India and several years ago we had gone on fossil hunting trips in CO, NM, UT, AZ.)

I have read some of the stimulating discussions and trip reports from this area on this forum (thank you!) wekand I would again seek advice from the members on the following ideas:

(1) Among the well-known places we could visit are Brownie's beach and Purse State Park. If we have time to visit only one site, which would you recommend in terms of better prospects for finding shark tooth.

(2) Are there other sites along the Potomac or Chesapeake which we should consider instead? I had visited the cliffs near Mataoka cottages last year, but was somewhat disappointed with our findings.

(3) How about inland sites/road cuts in north western Virgina, eastern Maryland, or eastern West Virginia? I have checked out Jasper Burns "Fossil collecting in the mid-Atlatic states", but I understand that prospects at the sites discussed in the book are now much limited.

Looking forward to suggestions from experts on this forum.

raja

I would suggest Purse State Park. You can find fair numbers of teeth and the collecting area is much larger than Brownies Beach, with fewer people. The best time to collect there is at low tide.

I strongly agee with Ron. I was at both places this past Spring and Purse is much larger and I think, more productive. Go at low tide (Potomac low tide not the bay) and you should do well.

Good Luck.

FFK

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!