Fossil rib bone

garyc

I may be spinning my wheels here, but does there happen to be a rib expert out there? This is a Pleistocene river gravel find from SE Texas. Thanks for looking

IMG_4185.jpeg

IMG_4187.jpeg

IMG_4188.jpeg

IMG_4189.jpeg

IMG_4190.jpeg

IMG_4191.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Ribs are something I know very little about, however I did some searching of creatures in the area it was found and their fossils and the closest I could find was a Mammuthus primigenius rib, but I am unsure.

Edited by M3gal0don_M4n
  • I found this Informative 1

“Deep words go here”- Me, 3/9/24                                                                                                                                                     YOUTHMEMBER2.jpg.69daf4f514282504b65cf9aa9208e90c.jpg

@garyc

I have been known to take some shots in the dark.  These ribs have some similarity to marine mammal

Clipboard_09-14-2024_03PossiblyDolphin.jpg.1d58d1d4f63df36536deeec293482766.jpg

I even found some dolphin ribs and if I can find it, have a Kogiopsis rib with similar attachment details

IMG_1337.thumb.jpg.c0e2a47caf0be7776e2b3a9da6235256.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg.d0ed542a6c41feb8b57329b6f748bd3c.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, garyc said:

@M3gal0don_M4n the rib head of mine might look a bit like mammoth, but I think size alone would rule through. Here’s a side by side with a Proboscidean rib fragment 

IMG_4192.jpeg

Gary, It is not your first time around this hunt.  I assume you know the Common mid sized land mammals in your Pleistocene hunting area.. It is not Mammoth, Mastodon, Sloth, Horse, rhino, wolf, or any marine mammal.

What else have you eliminated and what is left to eliminate... Big Cats ?  I found this photo on Wikipedia and could not eliminate Smilodon Fatalis....  Sounds like a good one to check out unless you have already done so,

But then, finding a rib that no one can identify... that is not so bad either.

La_Brea_Tar_Pits_Museum_Injuries_Exhibit.jpg.aa3bbb62b1335ccf58208d6dda9d58d7.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

@Shellseeker the problem is I don’t have a lot of material in hand or online to compare ribs. Funny you should bring up Smilodon because I actually did consider it and found an image online. It looks similar. However, I cannot say with confidence that it is from a big cat.

This thread reminds me of how I have boxes of various bones (including ribs) that I have yet to try to ID.  I typically only ID the teeth, jaws, and 'interesting' bones that I find; makes me wonder if I got saber cat or Casteroides bones laying in a box  :heartylaugh:

@garyc, first of all nice bones in your profile pic!  A sloth claw is a dream find for me.

As for your rib, have you considered some sort of deer rib?  Looks somewhat like yours, but I feel like this is also likely an incorrect ID.  Found these pics of modern bones on the net:

il_570xN.4358386137_swcq.webp.30f09354733f9cdeb38f5ca4daf1a4ba.webp

image.jpeg.7094567ea989bc9ed71c5290fa5be4ba.jpeg

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Gary, here's the comparison rib head that I found in my unidentified odds and ends box.  At the time I found it, I thought it was too big to be deer, but I've never personally butchered a deer, so maybe one of our hunter members would have more insight on that.

PXL_20240915_141720242~2.jpg

PXL_20240915_141731469~2.jpg

PXL_20240915_141749536~2.jpg

I have been looking for larger cervids. Have you found ribs from Camelops, or other camelids.  3 inches does seem large for individual deer ribs

26 minutes ago, Brandy Cole said:

@Shellseeker I'm uncertain what camelops ribs would look like, but camelid material is common here, so it's an interesting possibility.

Here is MODERN Llama... rib head too Small to be your find. We need to see a Texas Camelops rib. There were Camelops at Halls cave Texas

Llama Ribs Complete set Real Bone 24 Pieces Lot No. 190818-II image 1

Texas Pleistocene loss of fauna.. Hall's cave, Texas

Clipboard_09-15-2024_01CamelopsTexas.thumb.jpg.5d8080d0edf07cdc91b51de4a4fc1899.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Elk is also a possibility 

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

4 hours ago, Jaybot said:

Elk is also a possibility 

Closer and closer:  These are modern , similar proximal ends and approximated 3 inch length of the proximal end. Also Elk existed in the Texas Pleistocene.  The groove coming up the outside of the rib. 

Elk_modernRibs.png.ee2826240a8a93a2d858952ac219614e.png

• I found this Informative 2

I don’t think I’ve found any elk fossils here although it may be possible. I have found quite a bit of camel, so that’s a possibility. As far as ribs go , I don’t find many with diagnostic features. So far the only rib bones I’ve found that have been definitively identified are Proboscidean and sloth