Large skull, dinosaur? lol horse? PLEASE HELP ID

Ashleyk15

• New Members

PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY!! Went on my normal walk down the river behind my property and thought an interesting rock was buried next to a huge piece of limestone sticking out a little so I got to digging and much to my excitement and suprise I  uncovered this scull instead of a tiny rock . I’ve never seen anything like it but i just started finding things other than rocks and small fossils. I’ve always loved rock/fossil hounding but complete newbie when it comes to finding out what they are besides fascinating 😊Google says could be horse , or cow but it’s not cow, I’m leaning to horse but idk. The jaw is interesting and teeth.

Anyway I love y’all and how knowledgeable you are so I figured you guys would definitely point me in the right direction!! I want to look for the rest of the body as there’s a bunch of bones uncovered (we’re in a severe drought so it’s revealed all kinds of cool things! 

anyway, excited to hear what y’all think! 

IMG_3760.jpeg

IMG_3759.jpeg

IMG_3758.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg

IMG_3756.jpeg

IMG_3757.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

IMG_3752.jpeg

IMG_3753.jpeg

IMG_3751.jpeg

IMG_3749.jpeg

IMG_3750.jpeg

IMG_3746.jpeg

IMG_3748.jpeg

IMG_3747.jpeg

IMG_3744.jpeg

IMG_3745.jpeg

Edited by Ashleyk15
  • Enjoyed 1

• Ashleyk15 changed the title to Large scull, dinosaur? lol horse? PLEASE HELP ID
  • New Members

Is there a way to tell? I was comparing it to a modern skull size via measurements and it’s seems larger and the top seems flatter than the other ones? You all are more Knowledgeable than me though so idk I just thought it was interesting as it had to of been buried for at least a while as we’ve lived here 10 years and it sat empty for a few years before that and no one’s had horses. 🤷‍♀️ thank you for your response I really appreciate you!!

You can use the flame test.  Hold a lighter to the bone for 15 seconds or so.  A modern bone will scorch and produce a smell (sometimes like burnt hair).  

Edit: clean off an area on the bone and let it dry completely first.

Edited by Fin Lover

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

When we say "modern" we're talking less than 10,000 years for most things. Some may be mineralized partially or even fully, but most will not have begun yet if they are in the 500 years or less range. Break a small piece off (fingernail clipping size) from an inconspicuous area and try the flame test.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, Ashleyk15 said:

Is there a way to tell? I was comparing it to a modern scull size via measurements and it’s seems larger and the top seems flatter than the other ones? You all are more Knowledgeable than me though so idk I just thought it was interesting as it had to of been buried for at least a while as we’ve lived here 10 years and it sat empty for a few years before that and no one’s had horses. 🤷‍♀️

There really is no way to tell modern vs ancient based on skull measurements.

The truth is 125 years ago everyone had horses and when they died many ended up in rivers.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Large skull, dinosaur? lol horse? PLEASE HELP ID

Back 200 years ago, where a horse died is where it stayed if it wasn't in town. Nobody was eager to try moving 1200 pounds of dead animal. Usually the predators and scavengers took care of leaving nothin but bones behind. Those that died in town were hauled out into the wild open and dumped.

• Enjoyed 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!