Fossil ID

Paul Norman

• New Members

Hi, I am really new to this area and I'm looking for some opinions on the rock I found! I found this rock that is shaped like an egg in Northern British Columbia... any help would greatly be appreciated...20240915_144104.thumb.jpg.af6183573c1ecf93c10293b44225940f.jpg

Not an egg, as it has no features a fossiliced egg would show.

I think this is a classic phenomenon called pareidolia, where people see things in other things. It happens to everyone, so no worries about that ;)

An egg probably would have a lot of cracks, imperfections, and bumps, after millions of years of mineralizing, beeing crushed because of all the rock above, and then getting erodet by water, wind, natures forces.

So, I think you're right with that its rock shaped like an egg, and I can definetly see why you took a closer look :)

Here is something you might find interesting :

Edited by Brevicollis
  • I found this Informative 1

My account and something about me :   

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

I'm just a young guy who really loves fossils  YOUTH MEMBER2.jpg

Welcome to the forum!  Agree - not an egg, but I can definitely see why you picked it up.  Eggshell has a very distinct texture, which you can see at the link above.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

• New Members

Thank you for your ID.. I didn't think I was lucky enough to find a fossilized egg but I had to ask... take care and thanks again

• Enjoyed 2

• New Members

Thank you for your ID.. I didn't think I was lucky enough to find a fossilized egg but I had to ask... take care and thanks again

• New Members

I have a few other fossils but I was thinking they are fairly common but just wanted to share a picture... feel free to comment on them thank you.....

20240915_153006.jpg

• Enjoyed 2