How to allocate my fossil collection, need advice

DirtyRocks

• New Members

Hi, I’m a gem cutter living in central Queensland Gemfields, I’ve been collecting fossils since I can remember and it’s probably time to give some of them new homes, I’ll be getting back on the road again soon and can’t carry them all.. 

I’m not too worried about all the small stuff (teeth, shells etc) but I do have a large chunk of fossils that I bought from a geologist some time ago, I think he said it was collected during the construction of the new overpass at woolshed creek act. 2008 maybe?

it came with 20 pages of paperwork containing fossil id’s , photos and measurements..

What are the rules and regulations around fossils of this type? 
I called the museum today…

(no help, amazing)

I’m sure there is someone here that can help, any advice or information would be greatly appreciated 

798DBBA7-B590-4F62-8DDF-9F66F1253E48.jpeg

1DE906F8-E490-4B08-9026-9B1F413C84C1.jpeg

8E56E5BD-08B2-4FDD-9FB3-A74BA720EB9D.jpeg

There is a fossil sales topic on the forum.

I could be wrong, but I think Australian fossils have to be certified to leave the country, I don't know how to do that.

The part of the forum dedicated to fossil sales is not open to too recent members...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

If you don't have the time or inclination to bump up your post count here in order to post in the fossil sales topic, then I would suggest opening an account on one of the online auction sites and offering the things up there.

• I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Well, this is a nice, large plate of brachiopod molds. Judging from the shape of the specimen, I think, there exist more of this material and some specimens have probably deposited in museums already. And generally, such things are neither super-rare nor super money makers.

What does this mean exactly:

4 hours ago, DirtyRocks said:

called the museum today…

(no help, amazing)

Franz Bernhard

• New Members

Just hoped I’d get a solid answer from a museum but they were really not much help, I’ve had many problems just trying to understand Australian laws, we have a law for everything and it’s different from state to state.. 

Thanks everyone for helping 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

• Fossildude19 locked this topic
7 hours ago, DirtyRocks said:

What are the rules and regulations around fossils of this type? 

Trusting random internet strangers on legal matters is sketchy at best, and terrible at worst.

Please contact your local authorities to find out rules and regulations pertaining to this.

I do know you need to get some sort of permit for Fossils to leave the country.

In country might be another matter. 

Please research online, or contact your local authorites/department of natural resources or mining to find out the rules and regulations in your area.

TOPIC IS NOW LOCKED< mentions of sales on the open boards is not allowed.  ;)

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to How to allocate my fossil collection, need advice