Garage Prep-lab Compressed Air and Humidity Problem

Cameron Shepherd

• New Members

Hello!

I am currently building a prep lab in the basement and I am encountering a humidity issue within the compressed air lines. I currently am using the Husky 20 Gallon 165 PSI Quiet air compressor for my air scribes/pens but within minutes water comes out of the tools and I do not want to continue due to fear of harming the tools. What are some simple and cost-effective ways to limit/remove moisture from my compressed air lines? 

As a thank you for checking out this post, here is a photo of some ammonites I am working on!

20240903_215305.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

If you are getting water that fast, you probably need 3 driers.  You need a coalescing filter between the tank and the hose, with another at the end of the hose, and then a silica gel drier between the filter and your tools.   It also helps if you have a long hose to give the compressed air time to cool more and turn more of that "humidity" into mist that can be removed easier.

PS - Welcome to the forum!

Edited by hadrosauridae
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

• New Members

Thanks for the response!

What is the difference between a coalescing filter and a silica gel drier? Are these the only types out there? Does what the pipe is made out of also impact temperature (similar to the length of the pipe)? 

Compressed air dryer - Wikipedia

Don't forget to empty the compressor tank from time to time. Water also builds up there.

634380642_Bild1.JPG.d944ea9a249a4db3ba1c434b0834b117.thumb.jpg.7993b1927df96d8a4da4e54ae7d462b3.jpg

From right to left, four Festo coalescence filters in series with 2x 5µm, 1x 0.1µm, and 1x 0.01µm membrane pore sizes.

I don't need a desiccant (silica gel) dryer.

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

• New Members

Thank you for the Wikipedia link! I didn't think to use Wikipedia at all! Any suggestions for specific coalescing filters or desiccant dryers out there?

2 hours ago, Cameron Shepherd said:

Thank you for the Wikipedia link! I didn't think to use Wikipedia at all! Any suggestions for specific coalescing filters or desiccant dryers out there?

Best option is to spend some time searching and comparing.  There are a variety of sizes, qualities, and price points.  

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

Besides a water filter I also put this extra 50 ft of hose to capture water too.  Works purty good

RB

Its not hooked up yet.  This was when I was replacing the old compressor with this new one. 

DSCN0207.JPG.d78527e011862f1c972dee2e12c55ccb.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

I have 50’ of hose that connects to my filters across a tee with a water trap. Then, the air passes through a 2 stage coalescing filter, then a small desiccant filter, and lastly into a 2 gallon desiccant filter. By the time the air gets through this, there’s no chance of water in the tools!

I have to change the smaller filter’s desiccant after about 10 hours of work but I use color changing desiccant that can be reused (a few hours in the oven at 250 degrees). The 2 gallon filter is there just to ensure no water gets through (and I had it leftover from my previous filter assembly that needed replacement).

The water trap catches the majority of the liquid before it hits the filter assembly.

Lastly, drain your compressor daily. It’s a lot easier to keep water out of the lines with a dry compressor tank.

If I were you I would go slow on buying all sorts of equipment.  I have a very simple system. Compressor, 50 feet of hose and a moisture trap. My compressor is in my garage and hose comes through the house into the basement.  I have no problems at all with moisture and I do prep a lot (almost everyday).  I believe it all depends on the humidity of where you live.  I am in Michigan and you are in Boston.  I would think similar humidity.  I would try a moisture trap first and go from there.  And yes, do drain the compressor once in awhile.  I am lucky if I do it once a year but I know others that need to do it more often. 

20240918_090631.jpg