Ekhyl

• New Members

As it probably will become clear as it keep posting, aquatic reptiles are my favorite.

Here is Portunatasaurus krambergeri, an aquatic squamate from the Cenomanian-Turonian of Croatia.

In the original article that described it (Mekarski et al., 2019) it was presented as an early mosasauroid.

As a lot of things when it comes to aquatic squamate phylogeny and with mosasaurs in particular, it's hard to be sure as of yet.

What is clear is that it was a small predator that lived in the shallows of the warm Tethys sea.

wave.thumb.jpg.f617e1dfced3030a4aac8bf4d82b02c6.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

Wow!  Just wow!

• I Agree 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

This is such an awesome rendering of Portunatasaurus krambergeri! Very colourful and dynamic! Love it! :wub:

You know what else might form an interesting subject? Pannoniasaurus inexpectatus! Another early member from the same overall geographical area. As it's supposed to be a freshwater-species too, I can totally imagine something mysterious and murky as Mark Witton's reconstruction of Leptocleidus superstes...!

Leptocleidus+2015+Witton+low+res.jpg

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

• New Members
48 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

This is such an awesome rendering of Portunatasaurus krambergeri! Very colourful and dynamic! Love it! :wub:

You know what else might form an interesting subject? Pannoniasaurus inexpectatus! Another early member from the same overall geographical area. As it's supposed to be a freshwater-species too, I can totally imagine something mysterious and murky as Mark Witton's reconstruction of Leptocleidus superstes...!

Leptocleidus+2015+Witton+low+res.jpg

Thank you! I did give a try at Pannoniasaurus in my early paleoart days but I've been meaning to give it a go again! Thanks for reminding me of it :)

• Enjoyed 1