Is this keichousaurus real?

• New Members

Im thinking of purchasing this specimen, just need your guys opinions on wether this is a genuine and unrestored piece. some people are fishy about it due to the two toned matrix and the calcite vein running through the skull.
Any opinions on this?

Thanks in advance guys

IMG_2903.jpeg

IMG_2904.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

IMG_2906.jpeg

IMG_2907.jpeg

IMG_2908.jpeg

Its mostly real but a composite.

Main body has an ok prep, but I can not judge on legs and toes, paint could also be involved there.

"Head" is from another specimen, but, well, head its more or less not there. Not also the different prep of the two parts.

Calcite veins are not a problem.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

• New Members
43 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Its mostly real but a composite.

Main body has an ok prep, but I can not judge on legs and toes, paint could also be involved there.

"Head" is from another specimen, but, well, head its more or less not there. Not also the different prep of the two parts.

Calcite veins are not a problem.

Franz Bernhard

Does the fact that the head is from another specimen affect the overall value?

We don't discuss value here, but I wouldn't pay full price for a composite Franken-fossil.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Roh said:

Does the fact that the head is from another specimen affect the overall value?

If you are talking about scientific value: Yes.

If you are talking about aesthetic value: Yes (at least in this case).

Franz Bernhard

Monetary value: Look for a pristine specimen on the net. Then compare with this specimen. What do you think?

Franz Bernhard

• New Members
5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

If you are talking about scientific value: Yes.

If you are talking about aesthetic value: Yes (at least in this case).

Franz Bernhard

6 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

We don't discuss value here, but I wouldn't pay full price for a composite Franken-fossil.

I got back to the seller, he said that the “head” is not from another matrix and that the piece is fully original in that way.

And that I think that the head is from another specimen is due to the different coloured matrix.

He also said that the neck does not really align on either side of both matrix because of the calcite line.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

The part with the head is fitted to the rest. What appear to be straight calcite lines, are purposely filled joints to simulate a natural calcite line. But note how straight these  joints are in comparison with the real calcite lines in the slab.

Anyways, the very poor head don´t make it a desireable specimen, even if the head would naturally belong to the rest of the fossil.

Well, upon closer inspection, it could be a natural specimen! The dubios calcite lines aren´t that straight in detail (and opposite parts fit in place!). Offset along the lines is expected and this may also result in the mosaic color pattern of the plate and also the different preservation of head and the rest (varying depth of exposed fossil and matrix).

I have already seen a lot of Keichos here, but this is the first with such a strange mosaic colored matrix.

@Crazyhen - thanks!

Franz Bernhard