wolfy

• New Members

Hi all,

Back with my second post! I was poking around a mountainside site where they are rock blasting (Town of Thompson, Sullivan County). The site was a mixture of very layered, crumbly red shale, chunks of gray limestone (I believe), and lots of other miscellaneous rocks. I split/cracked open quite a bit of stuff, but ultimately found nothing. On my way back down, this caught my eye. It was too heavy to carry down the hillside alone, but I took a photo. I was just wondering if you all think it's even worth going back for (this is a site close to my home and not far from the road, so access is not an issue, I just need to bring a second person), or if this is just a curious looking rock/concretion. Should I return with an actual rock hammer and crack it open just to see?

I apologize for the lack of appropriate scale, as I did not bring measuring tape with me. The rubber mallet shown in the photos measures 14.45 x 3.54 x 1.38 in. (367.03 x 89.916 x 35.052 mm.), although I'm aware I didn't capture the entire length of the mallet in the photo... whoops. :duh2:

IMG_2982.JPG

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

It looks like concretion to me. It would make a fine landscape rock, but I doubt there's a fossil in it.