Periodic Paleo Posting - The Pie Cabinet

bockryan

Agoniatites vanuxemi is what Burns said. I would need to double check House 1978 and some other sources. I’m not sure how many of the specimens I’ve seen from that site are truly assignable to a species in terms of diagnostic features being present. 

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Al Dente said:

The apostrophe is almost always dropped on place names (Harpers Ferry for example). Greens Mill Run is the most common spelling.

The great whites are coming from the Yorktown Formation. 

Interesting - do you know why that is? The Yorktown material at the Aurora Fossil Museum doesn't seem to have Great Whites, or at least very few of them. Is that because they're the most fragile and get smashed up, or is it a different horizon maybe within the same formation? Does the Pleistocene material produce shark teeth at all? Thank you for replying though, I have been looking for info on this for a while, similarly with places like Holden Beach where lots of different time periods get mixed up. 

Edit - I should perhaps say that I have not found many Great Whites from the Yorktown vs. other species, which is more accurate than saying they don't seem to be there :) 

Edited by bockryan

1 hour ago, NickG said:

Agoniatites vanuxemi is what Burns said. I would need to double check House 1978 and some other sources. I’m not sure how many of the specimens I’ve seen from that site are truly assignable to a species in terms of diagnostic features being present. 

I found it - Agoniatites oliveri is the name I was thinking of that appeared on the poster as a way of dating the site to the Emsian. Are multiple Agoniatites species present do we think? I haven't observed any that are obviously different, but of course that wouldn't capture more subtle variation.