• New Members

Recently i was fortunate to find a buffalo skull believed to be 2-5 thousand years old actually in late march of 2024 right after 3 rd round of chemo   Buffalo#1. Then two days ago all treatments were stopped with no good news so again i resorted to fishing and low and behold while walking in water 20 yards from first one i found , but this one was in water submerged. Im hoping someone can possibly tell me what ive run across. Also have two rib bones and the ladt skull i believe whole skeleton is there. Love to here what ya come up with and thank you

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What is the horn span (tip to tip)? That will help get it down to species (if possible, as there is a lot of overlap with bison species).

Shooting-The-Rapids-Native-Americans-Canoeing-Framed-wood-Engraving-for-sale.jpg.4d80e899bc6d482607ea278310a3d471.jpg

2 hours ago, Wayne george said:

Recently i was fortunate to find a buffalo skull believed to be 2-5 thousand years old actually in late march of 2024 right after 3 rd round of chemo   Buffalo#1. Then two days ago all treatments were stopped with no good news so again i resorted to fishing and low and behold while walking in water 20 yards from first one i found , but this one was in water submerged. Im hoping someone can possibly tell me what ive run across. Also have two rib bones and the ladt skull i believe whole skeleton is there. Love to here what ya come up with and thank you

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

36 minutes ago, C2fossils said:

What is the horn span (tip to tip)? That will help get it down to species (if possible, as there is a lot of overlap with bison species).

Nice find!  You definitely have a bison skull, but to determine if it's an extinct species we will need the exact horn tip to horn tip measurement.

From looking at your photos, I think it looks like it's over 30 in.....  If so, then it might be the extinct Bison antiquus. 

Here's a chart for reference:

Bisonskullmeasurements.JPG.241b2b460bb0ae99c7e62f52140742e1.JPG

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Also, if the whole skeleton is there- you might have found a once in a lifetime discovery!  :Smiling:

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea