Advice about W.M. Browning Cretaceous Fossil Park

Allysaurus

• New Members

Like the title says, I’ve been thinking of going to the Browning Fossil Park in Mississippi and it will be my first time looking for fossils. I was hoping to get advice from someone who’s been there before. Like what kind of tools and supplies I might need. I have a shovel, but it’s huge and heavy, so I would need something lighter.

I’ve also been looking at sifters and found one that got pretty good reviews on Amazon, though it’s pricey. I know a lot of people build their own sifter, but I’d rather just buy one. I am on a budget so I don’t need the best or most expensive tools.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

While I'd suggest a rock hammer for general fossil hunting (and there is a lot of good fossil hunting in Mississippi), it won't come in handy at W.M. Browning.

A shovel and a sifter is all you need and is basically a must. You can find teeth and other fossils there without them but not in abundance. I can't offer perspective on sieves to buy as I build my own but I personally prefer smaller mesh size at W. M. Browning. You miss a lot of smaller teeth with larger mesh. My go to there is 1/8 inch mesh.