Weird hair or feather like inclusion in a see through piece of yellow rock (flint?,quatz?)

Brevicollis

Hello, I just remembered that I've found an interesting rock during vacation. I found it in Denmark, on the piece of beach that stretches between Hvide Sande, and Söndervig. I was looking for nice stones that particular day, as fossils are hard to come by and extremly rare there. Then this rock caught my attention, as it was laying there like this (yes, I put it back at first to take a picture in the finding position, after I saw what is in it).

IMG_20240826_124328.thumb.jpg.5692147e0b6a0deb84f5b5dc75f0171f.jpg

The rock (flint?) was really smooth and almost clear see through when wet, thanks to the sand it rolled in a while.

So I was able to spot the inclusion really easily. Its a almost hair or feather like structure going through, wich I have no idea of what it could be. My first thoughts were fish fin bones, feather strings, hair, but they are probably not the right ID, as I never ever heard of such things found in flint before. But it doesnt mean its impossible, right 😅 ?

Well, the whole thing measures 2,7 cm, or around 1,1 inch. 

Have fun ID'ing it, I'm excited what you guys have to say :)

@rocket, @Ludwigia, @oilshale, @TqB, @Brandy Cole, @Top Trilo, @Coco, @Fossildude19

IMG_1571.jpeg

IMG_1572.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg

IMG_1577.jpeg

IMG_1579.jpeg

IMG_1580.jpeg

IMG_1582.jpeg

IMG_1584.jpeg

IMG_1587.jpeg

IMG_1588.jpeg

IMG_1589.jpeg

IMG_1590.jpeg

IMG_1591.jpeg

IMG_1592.jpeg

Edited by Brevicollis
I forgot the "D" in "Weird", and a picture

My account and something about me :   

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

I'm just a young guy who really loves fossils  YOUTH MEMBER2.jpg

• Brevicollis changed the title to Weird hair or feather like inclusion in a see through piece of yellow flint.

Sure this is flint?

Could it be a piece of a quartz vein with mineral inclusions like tourmaline or rutile?

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

unsure what it is particularly, maybe something like sea urchin spikes

additional info: there has been found fossil fish in denmark, but they are extremely rare in flint. almost all danish fish fossils are found in the Mo-clay of Mors which is very limited geographically

attached is an image of a fish fossil in flint from the book Fossiler - Langs stranden by Jesper Milan and Lykke Bianca

IMG_20240921_194554_106.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Rutile quartz is the first thing I thought of.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• Brevicollis changed the title to Weird hair or feather like inclusion in a see through piece of yellow rock (flint?,quatz?)
10 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Sure this is flint?

Could it be a piece of a quartz vein with mineral inclusions like tourmaline or rutile?

Franz Bernhard

I dont really know, is there a good way of differantiating the two ?
The pieces of quartz we found that trip are all different than this, all of them have cracks running through, and are a completly different colour. I know that coulour is not a good way of making statements, but its weird as we hadnt seen a single piece of quartz coloured like this, and without cracks running through.

IMG_1593.jpeg

My paleoart :

If it is flint, two possibilities occur to me: either part of a hexactinellid sponge root tuft or some sort of plant material (plant material has been found in flint but is rare).

These are just guesses though as I haven't seen anything like it in flint before. Interesting piece but maybe needing a high powered microscope or SEM to see better. :) 

• Thank You 1

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

6 minutes ago, TqB said:

high powered microscope

Weeeeeell, my microscope actually produces worse vision on things than my magnification glasses wich do have all the same magnification strenghts as it :whistle:

But I could try to polish the piece, to make it more see through to make better pictures of it. I just need the right materials for that. So if anyone has any tipps on how to do that, always welcome !

Edited by Brevicollis

My paleoart :

I agree with others that it is rutile.

• I found this Informative 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.