Fossil Found in Minnesota, USA

MNfossil

• New Members

Hi all,

When planting some plants in my front yard, about one foot down I found a fossil that appears to be some type of claw. It's about 16cm (6 inches) long. I live in Wright County, Minnesota, USA.

The fossil does have some weight to it I'd guess about 1 pound and is pretty fragile (a chunk broke off one side when removing it.)

If anyone has any feedback that could be helpful as to what this is or where I should go with it that would be great!

Claw 1.jpg

Claw 2.jpg

Claw 3.jpg

Claw 4.jpg

the shape is that of a dinosaur claw, but it shows no bone texture.  Looks man made from here.  

• I Agree 2

• New Members

Here are two additional photos from the other side where a piece broke off when I was removing it. It appears to have fibers or hair running through it. If this helps at all please let me know!

Claw 5.jpg

Claw 6.jpg

the broken surface does not look at all bone like.  What kind of artifacts have been found in the area?

i agree with jpc, it looks very much like a reproduction of a dinosaur claw. the fibers could be roots, or could be horsehair or synthetic fiber used to strengthen the plaster (assuming it’s plaster).

Interesting thing to find buried in a yard. 

• I Agree 1

I agree with the others 100%. Spitting image of a dinosaur claw but it fails in the fine details.