Are the road cuts outside of Harper Ferry West VA fossiliferous?

Samuel.73727

Looking around at limestone roadcuts that are around Harper Ferry. The roadcuts are across the river. I was wondering if they are fossiliferous and worth taking a look at. 

example photo:

IMG_7068.thumb.jpeg.3baebcd3317569bfa6675645265e7ac7.jpeg

Edited by Samuel.73727
Typo Error.

• Samuel.73727 changed the title to Are the road cuts outside of Harper Ferry West VA fossiliferous?

You never know, until you stop and look for yourself. ;)

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Much of that land might be within the purview of the National Historic Park, so need to verify before any collecting (looking is of course fine regardless). I was just there this past weekend, I think much of that rock is metamorphic, I didn't see any evidence of fossils but I didn't look closely.

This link talks about it a little bit: https://www.nps.gov/hafe/learn/nature/geologicactivity.htm

The "roots" of the mountains would be the deepest, most deformed rock, so any fossils I would expect to be higher up on the sides of the valley. Reading below, it seems that even this is unlikely. I think the Antietam Formation does preserve Cambrian trace fossils.

Geologic Setting
Situated in the Blue Ridge physiographic province, the geology of Harpers Ferry National Historical Park is predominantly composed of ancient Precambrian and Cambrian metamorphic and meta-igneous rocks that have been heavily deformed as a result of numerous tectonic events that culminated in the construction of the Appalachian Mountains. The oldest basement rocks in HAFE are located in Loudoun Valley and consist of Mesoproterozoic-age metagranite and the Neoproterozoic Catoctin and Swift Run Formations. The Catoctin basalts and sedimentary strata of the Swift Run Formation were deposited in a dynamic environment characterized by steep topography and local interaction between lava flows and stream systems, producing a series of complexly interlayered deposits (Badger 1999; Tollo et al. 2004). Several Cambrian-age units form the precipitous slopes in the western portion of HAFE and include the Chilhowee Group (Loudoun, Weverton, Harpers, and Antietam Formations), Tomstown Formation, and Waynesboro Formation. The youngest bedrock mapped in HAFE are Jurassic-age diabase dikes that intrude older strata in the eastern portion of the park. The major geologic structure underlying the area of HAFE is the late Permian-age Blue Ridge anticlinorium, an asymmetric regional-scale fold that extends for more than 400 km (250 mi) from southern Pennsylvania southwest as far as Lynchburg, Virginia (Reed 1969).

• I found this Informative 3

If it’s the exposures I’m thinking of, the only fossils are worm burrows in the Harpers Formation, but they’re rare and distorted. The nearest limestone is the Tomstown Dolomite which is poorly exposed except along some creeks and I believe the C&O, but there’s no collecting allowed along it. Also no collecting in Harpers Ferry either. 

• I found this Informative 2