meteor or Dino egg?

lindsay00

Welcome from Australia :b_hi:!!

Where was it found, what country? (Specific location e.g., county or nearby town) not seeing any fossils so far...

As someone who has done research on meteorites before, I can be fairly certain that neither of these are meteorites, so they are "meteorwrongs".

Also, you put in the title "meteor", a meteor is the rock you see flying through the air, a meteorite is when the rock has landed on the ground and a meteoroid is a rock in space 3 meters or smaller, anything larger is an asteroid. Just so you know, as not many people I see do.

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Sorry, dino egg is out too. These look like iron rich rocks to me.

• I Agree 2

Sorry, no fossils or meteorites here.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• New Members
6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Sorry, dino egg is out too. These look like iron rich rocks to me.

• New Members

Thank you! I know nothing about any of this! My boyfriend and I are timber cutters and we are always in the woods and we find some crazy neat things! The big one was just soooo heavy and odd! A magnet goes to it so we were like maybe?! lol thank you!

2 hours ago, lindsay00 said:

Thank you! I know nothing about any of this! My boyfriend and I are timber cutters and we are always in the woods and we find some crazy neat things! The big one was just soooo heavy and odd! A magnet goes to it so we were like maybe?! lol thank you!

If a magnet is attracted to it, it's not common ironstone.  Better wait for more information. :popcorn: 

More information about where it was found would be helpful. 

Edited by Rockwood

It might be taconite. I just read that it's 1/3 magnetite. 

The inside is the same color as the outside and it doesn't appear have a fusion crust (the black layer on the outside of a meteorite caused by layers burning off as it enters the atmosphere). I have found many magnetic rocks with only one of them being a possible meteorite. Meteorites are very rare, especially at that size too. Micrometeorites or "space dust" is quite common, however.

Edited by Kohler Palaeontology
  • I found this Informative 1