Help identifying fossil!

Drake Aphios

• New Members

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on the Fossil Forum and I need your help in identifying a fossil that a friend of mine found! It was found on the surface in Vernal UT, so the Morrison formation. My friend and I speculate them to be the finger bones of an allosaurus. Neither of us are experts though and are looking for answers! We had someone say that they think that it could be caudal vertebrae, but it doesn't have any neural spines so I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

20240808_105942.jpg

20240808_112157.jpg

20240808_112201.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

very cool find, DINO-Material. Great

Allosaurus, really not easy to say where these bones (look like tail-vertebrae) belong to..., but its definitely Dino

They do remind me more of caudle verts, I can't tell you whether it's theropod or not. How big?

• New Members
1 hour ago, rocket said:

very cool find, DINO-Material. Great

Allosaurus, really not easy to say where these bones (look like tail-vertebrae) belong to..., but its definitely Dino

Would you say that it is unlikely that they are to a theropod?

• New Members
1 minute ago, Kohler Palaeontology said:

They do remind me more of caudle verts, I can't tell you whether it's theropod or not. How big?

They are almost 2 inches long each

Maybe it's Othniellia? I don't know much about the Morrison Formation.

I think it's most likely an ornithopod. Could be something else. To me it doesn't have the morphology of an allo vert.

Edited by Kohler Palaeontology

10 hours ago, Drake Aphios said:

Would you say that it is unlikely that they are to a theropod?

not easy to say, where they belong to. They do not look like Allosaur, but the preservation is not good enough to decide where they could belong to. 

For a clear identification it is necessary to have more details on the verts. Caudal verts are really hard to determine, most isolated finds ends up in the collection as "Dino, might be..."

Nevertheless, a cool find. It is something special to find dinobones

vertebrae for sure, but whose?  Tough call.  I do not get an allosaur feel from them.  But the preservation is rough.  Can we see pix from different sides of the two bigger bones?  

• I Agree 1