Peace River trip planning

Jthomas18

• New Members

Hello Everyone,

I've been fossil hunting for a few years now primarily in the rivers and creeks of South Alabama which is the area where I reside. Recently I've been getting into making trips to different areas to go hunt and made a trip to the Venice Beach, Florida area last month to do some fossil diving which was a great experience.  While I was there some people recommended that I should do a peace river trip and I've been looking into it since. I've read lots of helpful information on this forum and recently made an account.  This is my first post here. I've roughed out a trip plan but thought I might seek some advice from some experienced peace river hunters on this forum.

Here is my plan so far:

I am going during a Mid-October weekend, driving down Thursday and coming back Monday.  I plan to camp at Pioneer Park in Zolfo Springs, Florida and am bringing a kayak to traverse the river. I have my own equipment as far as sifters, screens, and shovels go. I also have a Florida Fossil hunting permit.

Thursday: Travel day and set up camp that afternoon upon arrival.

Friday: I am going to the Bone valley fossil farm and digging there most of the day. That afternoon I plan on launching my kayak from the campground to do a little paddling and just get a feel for the river.

Saturday: I plan on starting to paddle downstream from the campground early in the morning. I will spend this day hunting for accessible gravel beds to screen and then return to the campground that afternoon.

Sunday: I am thinking about launching from a different access point and exploring a different part of the river. I've been looking at maps of the river but haven't quite decided where I will launch from yet on this day. Same objective, explore the river and look for accessible gravel to screen. 

Monday: Breakdown camp and make the return trip back to Alabama.

From what I've read it seems the earliest you can begin hunting the river is in October due to water levels associated with the summer rains in that part of Florida. I have the water level monitors bookmarked on my phone along the Zolfo to Arcadia stretch of the river.  Could anyone give me an general idea of what I might expect, current, temperature, and depth wise in the Peace River that time of year?  I am comfortable digging in deeper water, cold water, and being around alligators. Also, any advice on a good place to launch from on Sunday would be appreciated. 

I am interested in any general advice regarding this trip plan from people with experience hunting the Peace River. From reading it sounds like making trips in the early spring or winter is more ideal as the water levels are lower. Unfortunately, I will be moving for work soon and this October window is my last window to squeeze a long-distance trip in for the time being.

Thanks Everyone,

• Enjoyed 1

11 hours ago, Jthomas18 said:

I am going during a Mid-October

With the Hurricane, make sure to check the Peace water levels before going! My guess is flow rates will still be pretty high. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Hi! And welcome to the Forum. That's a great itinerary. But, like @minnbuckeye said, watch the water levels more closely. Hurricane season doesn't end until Nov. 1. Doing dry digs at the fossil farm might be the way to go during your time there. There's another one further south if I recall reading on here. Good luck either way!

• Thank You 1

Sounds like a good plan if the water level cooperates! I usually draw the line when the water at Zolfo Springs is at or greater than 5.5 ft - anything above that and hunting becomes extremely difficult. If you are able to go there are some good gravel beds downstream from pioneer park starting just after the hwy 64 bridge and you will find intermittent beds for the next 6 miles. A good probe is an invaluable tool for locating some of the beds that may have been covered up by the flooding - I never go without one. As far as the fossil farm is concerned I would stay away from sifting and stick to straight washing of the pile. If you start at the bottom of the pile and cut a “wall” that you can peel back it works much better than just washing the top - it’s a numbers game and the more piles you can power through the greater your chance of finding something nice.I also remove the nozzle they provide as you get more water volume without the nozzle. If you do go and find the water level still too high there are a number of creeks nearby that can produce - get a Florida atlas and examine it closely for the location of the creeks and possible access points to gain access to them. Good luck !

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members
4 hours ago, Done Drillin said:

Sounds like a good plan if the water level cooperates! I usually draw the line when the water at Zolfo Springs is at or greater than 5.5 ft - anything above that and hunting becomes extremely difficult. If you are able to go there are some good gravel beds downstream from pioneer park starting just after the hwy 64 bridge and you will find intermittent beds for the next 6 miles. A good probe is an invaluable tool for locating some of the beds that may have been covered up by the flooding - I never go without one. As far as the fossil farm is concerned I would stay away from sifting and stick to straight washing of the pile. If you start at the bottom of the pile and cut a “wall” that you can peel back it works much better than just washing the top - it’s a numbers game and the more piles you can power through the greater your chance of finding something nice.I also remove the nozzle they provide as you get more water volume without the nozzle. If you do go and find the water level still too high there are a number of creeks nearby that can produce - get a Florida atlas and examine it closely for the location of the creeks and possible access points to gain access to them. Good luck !

Thank you for the tips! 

On 9/27/2024 at 1:39 PM, Jthomas18 said:

Thank you for the tips! 

Late to the party.  I went hunting a Peace River Tributary last Wednesday , got  home about 7 pm .  The tail bands of Hurricane Helene were beating us from 9 am Thursday and heavy rains most of Thursday with a 4 foot Storm surge and power blackout 7 pm Thursday night.  I have been enjoying the AC in my pickup for 2 nights and cleaning up the mess. Salt water kills 80% of all Flowers and Shrubs.  3rd time in 2 years.  There are payments for living in paradise.

I went hunting Wednesday because High water gauges kept me from my favorite hobby for more than 3 weeks.  The water was 2 feet deeper than the normal depths I am used to here. It was exciting.  I stayed out of the fast currents and deep water on one side of the creek.  I was not overly successful.  This is the gauge at Zolfo,

USGS.02295637.31649.00065..20240921.20240928..0._pres.gif.3ae626acf32badac37685d6c6ce40ed9.gifenj

This gauge at a minimum was 4 feet too deep to consider hunting. At 10 feet, the currents are treacherous and going downstream will flip your kayak in the blink of an eye taking you down into logs and branches that can grab on. If you see this gauge in Mid October ,  enjoy a 2nd day at the BVFF.  Here is a thread about finds that are possible at these land sites. I am much more mesmerized by Dolphin over Meg teeth...to each his own.

Here were my finds Wednesday..  Not exactly impressive, but I did get 5 hours of intense exercise.

IMG_8835.thumb.JPG.6c8115040aa267525dc996fedede159d.JPG

I have been everywhere on the Peace River,  included South of Zolfo. I have had some excellent finds from that area.   With deep and fast currents,  the river will cut into the banks on one side and drop the contents on the other side.  Pay attention to the curves.. they can be productive.  Once you run out of people homes on the banks,  keep an eye out for gators.

Upstream is likely more interesting,  I like the 26 miles between  Wauchula and Fort Meade Park..  You want to do LESS paddling and more digging. IF you can arrange leaving your car at one bridge and getting a ride for you and your kayak to a couple of bridges upstream. that day you will hunt more hours and only paddle downstream. 

Best of luck on the day you hunt....  

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 9/26/2024 at 7:04 PM, Jthomas18 said:

From what I've read it seems the earliest you can begin hunting the river is in October due to water levels associated with the summer rains in that part of Florida. I have the water level monitors bookmarked on my phone along the Zolfo to Arcadia stretch of the river.  Could anyone give me an general idea of what I might expect, current, temperature, and depth wise in the Peace River that time of year?  I am comfortable digging in deeper water, cold water, and being around alligators. Also, any advice on a good place to launch from on Sunday would be appreciated. 

Mid_October is the transition from Summer rains and Fall Sunshine. The Hurricane season does not end until November 1st and we have had hurricanes the last 2 weeks of October. I would say that you will be no better than 50-50 for the Zolfo Gauge at 6 feet. Some locations are low and have slow currents, but others will be too fast to dig.  Temperature no worse than 80 degrees...  In such conditions, I tend to dig between my waist and chest  (4.5 feet ?) ,  back to the river back, and as far from the bank I can get maintaining the 4.5 feet.

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

email address redacted 

When you are getting ready to head out send me a email message and I’ll put location points on google maps and send it to you for the areas within kayak reach of your campground. There’s 3 south of the ramp just a few miles that could keep you busy all trip but water over 6’ is gonna be too deep for all but the first. 

Currently, with the gauge at 11’, You’ll either hit water at exactly the same weekend the current flood level gets down again or we will get more rain and you’ll be out of luck. If it’s the first, you’ll be first in post flood for the area you’re interested in. So don’t waste time digging deep there. Just sift the top 8” and keep moving around. People will say Zolfo is hunted out but it gets a fresh reset every flood on the surface of the River bottom. 

I would also like the river to go down so I’m on your team but my wife said we have another hurricane in the gulf this morning… 😳

Jp

• Thank You 1

• New Members
On 9/28/2024 at 8:09 PM, Shellseeker said:

Late to the party.  I went hunting a Peace River Tributary last Wednesday , got  home about 7 pm .  The tail bands of Hurricane Helene were beating us from 9 am Thursday and heavy rains most of Thursday with a 4 foot Storm surge and power blackout 7 pm Thursday night.  I have been enjoying the AC in my pickup for 2 nights and cleaning up the mess. Salt water kills 80% of all Flowers and Shrubs.  3rd time in 2 years.  There are payments for living in paradise.

I went hunting Wednesday because High water gauges kept me from my favorite hobby for more than 3 weeks.  The water was 2 feet deeper than the normal depths I am used to here. It was exciting.  I stayed out of the fast currents and deep water on one side of the creek.  I was not overly successful.  This is the gauge at Zolfo,

USGS.02295637.31649.00065..20240921.20240928..0._pres.gif.3ae626acf32badac37685d6c6ce40ed9.gifenj

This gauge at a minimum was 4 feet too deep to consider hunting. At 10 feet, the currents are treacherous and going downstream will flip your kayak in the blink of an eye taking you down into logs and branches that can grab on. If you see this gauge in Mid October ,  enjoy a 2nd day at the BVFF.  Here is a thread about finds that are possible at these land sites. I am much more mesmerized by Dolphin over Meg teeth...to each his own.

Here were my finds Wednesday..  Not exactly impressive, but I did get 5 hours of intense exercise.

IMG_8835.thumb.JPG.6c8115040aa267525dc996fedede159d.JPG

I have been everywhere on the Peace River,  included South of Zolfo. I have had some excellent finds from that area.   With deep and fast currents,  the river will cut into the banks on one side and drop the contents on the other side.  Pay attention to the curves.. they can be productive.  Once you run out of people homes on the banks,  keep an eye out for gators.

Upstream is likely more interesting,  I like the 26 miles between  Wauchula and Fort Meade Park..  You want to do LESS paddling and more digging. IF you can arrange leaving your car at one bridge and getting a ride for you and your kayak to a couple of bridges upstream. that day you will hunt more hours and only paddle downstream. 

Best of luck on the day you hunt....  

Hey Shellseeker,

Thank you for the trip report, advice on water conditions, and sharing some recent finds. I have read several of your posts on this forum while preparing for this trip and found them very helpful.  I hope you guys made it through the hurricane all right. It looks like this plan will all come down to the water level the weekend of. A second day at BVFF might be a solid plan, but I'm not sure I want to pay their daily fee a second time on this trip. I could drive over to Venice and hop on a dive charter for roughly the same amount of money. On Sunday I am thinking of launching north of Zolfo Springs, probably just north of Wauchula. From there I would work my way back down the river to camp then get an uber back to where I parked the morning of. Is it generally safe to leave your vehicles parked at the bridge accesses for the day? 

• New Members
On 9/29/2024 at 10:11 AM, Balance said:

email address redacted 

When you are getting ready to head out send me a email message and I’ll put location points on google maps and send it to you for the areas within kayak reach of your campground. There’s 3 south of the ramp just a few miles that could keep you busy all trip but water over 6’ is gonna be too deep for all but the first. 

Currently, with the gauge at 11’, You’ll either hit water at exactly the same weekend the current flood level gets down again or we will get more rain and you’ll be out of luck. If it’s the first, you’ll be first in post flood for the area you’re interested in. So don’t waste time digging deep there. Just sift the top 8” and keep moving around. People will say Zolfo is hunted out but it gets a fresh reset every flood on the surface of the River bottom. 

I would also like the river to go down so I’m on your team but my wife said we have another hurricane in the gulf this morning… 😳

Jp

Hey Balance,

Awesome, thank you for the information that helps a ton. It says email address redacted so I will shoot you a personal message to get that.  Worse comes to worst and this will turn out to be a fun kayaking trip it sounds like. 

• New Members
On 9/28/2024 at 8:09 PM, Shellseeker said:

This sounds like a good overnight trip. I will have to plan that with some friends for next year. 

2 hours ago, Jthomas18 said:

Hey Shellseeker,

Thank you for the trip report, advice on water conditions, and sharing some recent finds. I have read several of your posts on this forum while preparing for this trip and found them very helpful.  I hope you guys made it through the hurricane all right. It looks like this plan will all come down to the water level the weekend of. A second day at BVFF might be a solid plan, but I'm not sure I want to pay their daily fee a second time on this trip. I could drive over to Venice and hop on a dive charter for roughly the same amount of money. On Sunday I am thinking of launching north of Zolfo Springs, probably just north of Wauchula. From there I would work my way back down the river to camp then get an uber back to where I parked the morning of. Is it generally safe to leave your vehicles parked at the bridge accesses for the day? 

From Heard Bridge to Zolfo is 7 miles by river, 3 miles by car.  In 2016 and 2017, there were problems with stealing anything loose at Heard Bridge .  A security Camera was installed and more Sherriff dept checking settled it down.  I have not heard of any problems over the past 4-5 years. There is usually a lot of activity during season.  Pay attention to Straight stretches just above zig-zag curves. 

• New Members
17 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

From Heard Bridge to Zolfo is 7 miles by river, 3 miles by car.  In 2016 and 2017, there were problems with stealing anything loose at Heard Bridge .  A security Camera was installed and more Sherriff dept checking settled it down.  I have not heard of any problems over the past 4-5 years. There is usually a lot of activity during season.  Pay attention to Straight stretches just above zig-zag curves. 

Good to know, thank you!

Not sure that Uber is an option in that location - at least when I tried last year it wasn’t…… A bit safer parking and launch site is Paynes creek historic park - it’s a nice paddle to the Heard rd bridge but you still gotta get back somehow…..

• Thank You 1