Getting cephalopod fossil out of dolomite rock

rbh1515

• New Members

I find so many Silurian period fossils in Door County, Wisconsin.  This is probably my favorite.  If you look closely you will see 3 cephalopods.  This is at the side of the road of my property in dolomite.  Would love to figure out how to remove it without destroying it!  Any ideas?

IMG_0532.jpeg

I would say your best option would be to cut it out from the larger host rock with a rock saw. As the specimens are fairly weathered, the odds of it being extracted matrix-free is very low. That said, cutting it down to size as a a square or rectangular bloc may make for an attractive display specimen.

• I Agree 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Cool piece. A bit weathered, but I like how the siphuncle stands out. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I have used an angle iron fitted with a tile cutting blade.  I’ve even used a battery powered saw, but they go through batteries quickly so have a few on hand or be prepared to take a few rounds of cutting and charging.  Have a water source handy to wet the rock as you are cutting it.  However you cut or chisel the rock, be sure to protect your eyes and hands and wear a good dust mask.  No fossil is worth your vision or health.  

Don