Travertine crabs from Turkey

Kasia

I will certainly accept the above expert's assessment, and thus gladly discard my suspicions. There still are quite a few things that look pretty weird to me (starting with the precise positioning of the crab sheds just in the middle of natural travertine cavities), but that's but my own problem.

On 10/4/2024 at 5:31 PM, FossilDAWG said:

I suppose that @MB would have some information on these fossils, as he is very knowledgeable about all things regarding crab fossils.

Don

Hi all, yes, I was lucky enough to see and touch the first ones that were published many years ago. Yes, they are real in despite of the some "expert" opinions you can see in several forums or FB groups.

Kasia, enjoy them :)

• Enjoyed 1

20 hours ago, RJB said:

Nice to see you again Kasia.  I dont know a lot about these crabs but they are real.  and like someone has already mentioned, they are mined which is why the saw marks.  I can only assume that many are destroyed in this mining process.  I remember they are very young in the fossil record but when they first came out several years ago they were WAY to expensive and so I did not pay much attention to them.  Still very cool though.

RB

Hi Ron,

They have lowered the price dramatically... trust me ;)

2 hours ago, MB said:

They have lowered the price dramatically... trust me

I did not know that, but then again, haven't been paying attention.  Might have to look into that.  Thanks MB

RB

Thank you for your expert opinion that eliminates the doubt I have introduced into this discussion. Happy for you to acquire that Kasia ;)

Coco

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg