Shellseeker

I was sitting around Saturday and my fossil buddy called.  He watches the USGS gauges and suggested that a place that we had hunted a year ago might barely be diggable. YES...  It would be my 3rd hunt for September. 

This is a spot that we hunted in 2022 and 2023, that had become less and less productive, but always had lower water than our other choices.  Low water is a relative state.  It was 4 inches above my waist.

We both were prospecting,  trying to find a spot we had previously missed. I came to a spot that I was positive I had dug 2 years previously, and when my shovel hit gravel,  I thought it was probably discard gravel that I had left on the bank. I changed my mind when a large hemi came up in my 2nd shovelful.

This was likely a spot that had heavy rains and fast currents to clean off gravel, sand, debris down to the next lower fossil layers. 

Here are some of the best:

IMG_8903ce.thumb.jpg.177ad6034ba267da8c34211f46c548e6.jpg

That 1st Hemi...

Hemipristis1_Merge.thumb.jpg.ebc15cef999881d78e855b0e05bcb89b.jpg

More Shark teeth...

2024Sept29th_TigerShark_m.thumb.jpg.9db09da8ccfd568e5d7a4b4a0b15678b.jpgIMG_8955ce.thumb.jpg.48318c99f2c4058608ccb542f2d96741.jpg20240929_Hemipristis2.thumb.jpg.7b5bad9dab8e8471496e099f3bab6371.jpg20240929_Hemipristis.thumb.jpg.d36d930815405ea801bbba46278683c6.jpg

Over the years,  I have developed the feeling that Hemipristis are a Pliocene species in Florida , while Sandtigers are in all (2) of my Miocene locations.

Love the  Blues....

Here is a high quality Stingray Tooth... Better shape/size that I usually get. Anyone recognize the species   ?

StingrayToothMerge.thumb.jpg.402cad8d652bde801b177115ffe82a8f.jpg

The 2 brown tips, I think are the ends of a Softshell turtle shell,  and a Baracuda tooth on the left.

I also picked up this Vertebra, overly worn but has some interesting patina.. Given that everything else I found was marine based.  I think it most likely a Dolphin vert... 

IMG_8925.thumb.JPG.38d578bb65b98fc8fff4249f1d35ed34.JPGIMG_8927.thumb.JPG.e544ebb1600a482a13cc684f557ab316.JPGIMG_8926.thumb.JPG.feb80ef76c021df4da6c5dbbd20bdff4.JPG

• Enjoyed 13

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Great finds, Jack. Lovely colors, for sure.

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Gorgeous teeth! congrats...

What does the opposite side of the last item (vert) look like?.  From the 3 pics it almost looks like turtle to me....has an entoplastron shape....

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1

Those teeth are beautiful Jack! Great finds!:yay-smiley-1:

• I Agree 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice to get out on a hunt after an over extended break :D

Nice finds Jack!

• I Agree 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

12 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Gorgeous teeth! congrats...

What does the opposite side of the last item (vert) look like?.  From the 3 pics it almost looks like turtle to me....has an entoplastron shape....

Regards, Chris 

EDIT:  I created this post last night just before going to sleep,  Just never hit the submit button...

You are right , Chris   !!!

Is there anything that would differentiate sea versus land turtle.    ?

IMG_8965ce.thumb.jpg.1691ef36a8c3f91ce7a12ebe165af26f.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

And you found the Blues in Muddy Waters, right? :D

Yes, Roger   you also are well versed in American music from my youth!!!  

• Enjoyed 1

8 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Yes, Roger   you also are well versed in American music from my youth!!!  

Well I'm pretty sure we belong to the same generation :)

• Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

21 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

EDIT:  I created this post last night just before going to sleep,  Just never hit the submit button...

You are right , Chris   !!!

Hey Jack,  thanks for the additional photo!

Between the matrix there and the amount of wear I cant figure out what that surface texture looks like or if there are any visible sulcii--still think turtle/tortoise possibly an entoplastron.

There are some different textures for sea turtles carapace elements  vs terrestrial forms but I'm not sure about the plastral elements. Its usually their shapes that are so distinctive.

Its general diamond like shape and the cross section are what makes me believe its an entoplastron. The sea turtles that I'm familiar with dont have that entoplastron shape--they are much more elongated. Could be one but I'm not aware of and hoping a turtle expert in the forum or the UF folks/Digit might  tell me if I'm way off base or can clarify and provide their thoughts.  @digit

If its another type of shell element entirely that makes it more interesting at least for me.  I suppose that central ridge might be part of the vertebral strut/attachment and then that makes it a possible top shell/carapacial element and not from the lower shell/plastron. Could it be from something else thats more exotic or simply one of the common larger pond turtles like Pseudemys/Trachemys or maybe even a tortoise. Again, I'm up against my lack of knowledge. 

Jacksunknownpossibleendoplastron.thumb.jpg.b36f5277d4f80189cd6ee548fc88e9ad.jpg

Regards, Chris 

On 10/1/2024 at 8:12 PM, Plantguy said:

From the 3 pics it almost looks like turtle to me....has an entoplastron shape....

Yes and no. Definitely turtle but a neural bone from the carapace. You can see the ridge on the underside where the vertebrae would have attached.

23 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Jason would know. He's my turtle go-to guy. I'll drop him the photos and see what he makes of it.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

Jason said it might be a side-necked turtle (which are rare in the fossil record of Florida). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

Jason said it might be a side-necked turtle (which are rare in the fossil record of Florida). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken, Glad you were able to get Jason to look! Thanks!.

I've got some worn entoplastrons that have that mid line/ridge worn down but neural makes more sense and to have it be possibly be a side-necked turtle that makes it even more interesting. Makes makes my day wondering about it...even if it isnt it for sure!!....

I'll have to go review Jasons pub on sidenecks now...I read it a couple years back and cant remember a dang thing about them!

Side-necked turtles (Testudines, Pleurodira) from the ancient Gulf coastal plain of Florida during middle Cenozoic megathermals,

JR Bourque - Chelonian Conservation and Biology, 2016 meridian.allenpress.com

Regards Chris 

4 hours ago, digit said:

Jason said it might be a side-necked turtle (which are rare in the fossil record of Florida).

Fantastic News... Thanks Ken. Thanks Chris,  I love finding rare stuff.  Even if I do not recognize it.... 

Hopefully you and Jason will figure this out.  Anything I can do to help...  Jack