ID help: Phalange/phalanx? From Pleistocene Romania

HuracanQiui

9 hours ago, HuracanQiui said:

Hi guys, this phalange/phalanx (?) was purchased a while ago, and is said to be from Pleistocene Romania, (the same age as the cave bears).

Could anyone please provide an ID?

So let me start off that I know nothing about the fauna in Pleistocene Romania... 

It might be the phalanx of a large mammal  , like a Cave Bear or a leg bone of a small mammal.. It also has a significant curve that may be helpful during identification. 

I just did a search on the Internet.. "Cave Bear toe bone phalanx"  ..  Got tons of hits including many photos of the complete claw....

Large Cave Bear Paw (Foot)

On a really unique Distal Phalanx,  I used this technique  (Think of a mammal that 1) exists in your region,  2) Has a toe bone of the right size and determine if it the right shape /size..  and If not Repeat for a different mammal in your region...

There are a few similar bones in the photo above,  I just do not know if they are the right size... 

Possibly , a TFF member may have seen your bone and can ID immediately.  but if not you have the means of solving the puzzle yourself.  It is the way I started and I have learned a lot over 10 years...   

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

So let me start off that I know nothing about the fauna in Pleistocene Romania... 

It might be the phalanx of a large mammal  , like a Cave Bear or a leg bone of a small mammal.. It also has a significant curve that may be helpful during identification. 

I just did a search on the Internet.. "Cave Bear toe bone phalanx"  ..  Got tons of hits including many photos of the complete claw....

Large Cave Bear Paw (Foot)

On a really unique Distal Phalanx,  I used this technique  (Think of a mammal that 1) exists in your region,  2) Has a toe bone of the right size and determine if it the right shape /size..  and If not Repeat for a different mammal in your region...

There are a few similar bones in the photo above,  I just do not know if they are the right size... 

Possibly , a TFF member may have seen your bone and can ID immediately.  but if not you have the means of solving the puzzle yourself.  It is the way I started and I have learned a lot over 10 years...   

Hi hi, thank you for your response. I have actually already looked through animals with phalange/phalanxes of similar size.

This phalange/phalanx does not match the characteristics of Hyaenidae and Felidae, meaning not Panthera spelaea and Crocuta (crocuta) spelaea. I am not familiar with Ursidae digits at all but it does not look like any of the Ursus spealeus digit materials I've come across. I have suspected Canidae but the tubercles don't look right.

With the curve and the "bump" on top of your purchase,  

It seems similar in shape to the smallest proximal on a cave bear...

Comparison.thumb.jpg.d906f02cd7a145af4ed75d9350c3efc6.jpg

Above is the left paw,  might match the right claw better

CaveBearPaw.thumb.jpg.6be8a78fa659d3e911155abf4ecb4a08.jpg

If the shape is close,  that tells us something.  It also might be a juvenile or newborn bear.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

With the curve and the "bump" on top of your purchase,  

It seems similar in shape to the smallest proximal on a cave bear...

Comparison.thumb.jpg.d906f02cd7a145af4ed75d9350c3efc6.jpg

Above is the left paw,  might match the right claw better

CaveBearPaw.thumb.jpg.6be8a78fa659d3e911155abf4ecb4a08.jpg

If the shape is close,  that tells us something.  It also might be a juvenile or newborn bear.

I think the deduction on it belonging to a juvenile cave bear is quite possible. 

8 hours ago, HuracanQiui said:

I think the deduction on it belonging to a juvenile cave bear is quite possible.

If our thinking is correct,  that would be an excellent acquisition.  If possible , it would be good to seek confirmation of a Paleontologist at a local University.