Brevicollis

As I was searching for special belemnites in my belemnite jars, I found this one here !
It is not round, and it could be a tip, as the alveola doesn't seem to progress fully through it !

Is this really one ? If so, how rare would a parhological belemnite be ?

Its 2,7 cm in length, and was found at the shores of the baltic sea.

@TqB, @rocket, @Ludwigia, @anonaddict

IMG_1661.jpeg

IMG_1662.jpeg

IMG_1663.jpeg

IMG_1664.jpeg

IMG_1665.jpeg

IMG_1666.jpeg

IMG_1667.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1677.jpeg

IMG_1678.jpeg

IMG_1679.jpeg

IMG_1674.jpeg

IMG_1673.jpeg

IMG_1672.jpeg

IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1670.jpeg

IMG_1675.jpeg

IMG_1676.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

My account and something about me :   

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

I'm just a young guy who really loves fossils  YOUTH MEMBER2.jpg

I also just found a paper on researchgate, wich describes a few pathological belemnites from Lägersdorf, Schleswig Holstein. One of them had the same cross section as mine !

Screenshot_2024-10-02-20-22-47-078_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.8b0d1aa804cdc6506291b6c076411f20.jpg

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/359992980_Erscheinungsformen_pathologischer_Kreide-Belemniten_der_forma_aegra_collata_KEUPP_2012_aus_der_Schreibkreide_von_Lagerdorf_Schleswig-Holstein

My paleoart :

It does look pathological but hard to tell how much in a worn specimen. Pathological specimens are generally scarce or quite rare, perhaps one in a hundred is my overall impression but I've never measured it.

• I Agree 2

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

not easy, heavily worn specimen...

a nice paper about pathological belemnites is 2015_4.pdf (ap-h.de)

best way to find out if your is pathologic or worn is to split it in the middle

Edited by rocket

1 hour ago, TqB said:

It does look pathological but hard to tell how much in a worn specimen. Pathological specimens are generally scarce or quite rare, perhaps one in a hundred is my overall impression but I've never measured it.

I can add of my ~2300 beach belemnite guards there isn't any i consider highly deformed (pre-fossilization) there is a number of specimens containing trace fossils or showing minor deformation. The distinction between pathological or highly pathological is inherently subjective. My judgement would be that for something to qualify as highly pathological you wouldn't be in any doubt

I think OPs specimen does look pathological, but I cant say to say for certain if it is or to what degree since as others point out it's hard to tell the difference between modern wear and non-major pathological specimens.

either way it's definitely an interesting specimen you have, and one I wouldn't just keep in a jar

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

55 minutes ago, rocket said:

I definetly wont do that !

It may be the only way to find out, but I rather want an intact pathological tip, rather than a few broken shards.

Sorry for that, but I could hand this specimen to an expert, take Frank Rudolph for example.

@anonaddict, yup, I also now noticed that this definetly isnt something I'll keep in a jar. I dont know, for how many years it looked at me in frustration, that he is special. Or maybe I've kept it that long in the jar, because I only found out about pathological belemnites two days ago...

Anyway, I just put it in my showcase, on a bed of cotton.

• Enjoyed 1

My paleoart :

1 hour ago, rocket said:

not easy, heavily worn specimen...

a nice paper about pathological belemnites is 2015_4.pdf (ap-h.de)

That paper is nice, @rocket !

Thanks for that !

According to that paper, these thickenings were caused by parasites.

My paleoart :

46 minutes ago, Brevicollis said:

Sorry for that, but I could hand this specimen to an expert, take Frank Rudolph for example.

Frank would not be the right one for this. Perhaps Rene Hoffmann could help in Bochum

Sometimes (according to my experience in identifying pathologic belemnites from northern germany) it is possible to see more with an UV-Lamp. If it is heavily worn or a pathologic one

• I found this Informative 2

51 minutes ago, Brevicollis said:

@rocket I took a few pictures of it under a UV light.

I hope they help !

IMG_1680.jpeg

IMG_1681.jpeg

IMG_1682.jpeg

IMG_1683.jpeg

IMG_1684.jpeg

IMG_1685.jpeg

IMG_1686.jpeg

IMG_1687.jpeg

IMG_1688.jpeg

IMG_1691.jpeg

it is more light in the center and darker at the rim. A pathologic one "should be" not light in the center of the tip. But the belemnit is a bit worn, so... For the moment I would say: 50:50, might be, needs more research

I add some pics of a parasite attacked Belemnit not worn. Always a bit easier...

IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4225.JPG

• I found this Informative 2