Rotliegend Formation - Unusual Sand Deposit from the Permian

baschti

• New Members

Hello everyone!

I wanted to share this photo I recently took. It shows a sand deposit from the Rotliegend, a geological period that dates back to the Permian era (around 299-252 million years ago). The Rotliegend is known for its arid desert environment, where wind and occasional water flows created extensive deposits of red sand and silt, typical of this time.

This particular sand deposit hasn't lithified into a solid rock and remains loose. Interestingly, each time it rains, more of the sand gets exposed or eroded away, revealing new features bit by bit.

I'm curious, does anyone know exactly what this could be? Could it be some kind of trace fossil or an interesting sedimentary feature specific to this period? I’d love to hear your thoughts or if anyone has encountered something similar in their studies of the Permian.

Thanks in advance for any insights

image.thumb.jpeg.1946edf7e73e4c5805296fef2f48b67d.jpeg!image.thumb.jpeg.8b9f3084a3e978b19daaabd46f784a75.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ac6b234a913770a2f81fd06fbd08fdbe.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.68bc91d9abf7fd12c81caf754854bd3e.jpegIMG_20240914_155132.thumb.jpg.ebdffbd301d72e6a98f79384f7ab3e5e.jpg

I'm not seeing any fossils here, just strongly weathered sandstone, which is not at all unusual for the German Rotliegend.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/