Can anyone give me some advice about this Spinosaurus vertebrae?

Satoshi

Can anyone give me some advice on this Spinosaurus vertebrae?

I purchased this fossil as a spinosaurus caudal vertebrae. However, the expert said that this fossil belongs to a Croc. Please let me know your opinions. And please tell me which points are different from the caudal vertebrae of Spinosaurus.

This look 100% croc caudal to me.  It is missing part of the long neural spine but otherwise a nice croc tail bone. 

• Thank You 1

Thank you so much for sharing with me! If you don't mind, could you please tell me in which respect there is a difference between the caudal vertebrae of a spinosaurus and those of a croc?

I'll admit that I do not know much about spinosaur caudal verts, but I have seen many croc caudals.  Three things stand out to me as crocodilian..... IN the forst photo, onthe bottom right corner, see the way the face of the end of the vert changes from vertyical to  cutting under the body of the vert.  That is where the chevron attaches and thatlooks crocky to me.  And as I mentioned above, the extremely long and skinny (we only see the skinny part here, as it is broken) neural spine.  Three, that groove along the bottom surface.  have a look at these that a woman in Texas sells from actual alligators she collects.

https://www.boneroomtexas.com/product/small-alligator-tail-and-vertebrae-bones/469?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=2

Again, this does not mean they are not spinosaurs; I am not familiar with their tail bones.  

It looks pretty big.... Sarcosuchus is known from the same beds as some spinosaurs.  

Edited by jpc

• Satoshi changed the title to このスピノサウルスの椎骨について、誰かアドバイスをいただけますか?

@Satoshi Please edit the title to English and repost the original photo. I'd like to have seen that and also have understood your title, since I've just entered here for the first time.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• Kane changed the title to Can anyone give me some advice about this Spinosaurus vertebrae?

I have translated the title and moved this to FOSSIL ID.

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I think this is Invisisaurus unseeni. :zen:

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

Sorry, I have received a complaint from the seller and have removed it. I am very sorry.

That sounds really suspicious on the sellers part. Especially when many sellers openly encourage potential buyers to post their listings here for a second opinion.

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Sorry, I have received a complaint from the seller and have removed it. I am very sorry.

Definetly sounds like he’s hiding something! I personally wouldn’t buy from someone who keeps you from confirming an items authenticity….

• I Agree 1

Hi,

That’s exactly what I think! If the seller has nothing to reproach himself, he would not forbid to try to identify an item ! It is not a pledge of seriousness !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

9 hours ago, Satoshi said:

But you have every right to photograph it yourself and post photos of your possession. That's ridiculous. Or were you using the owner's photos?

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

10 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I think the seller may think that people will see that photo (if they were the sellers' photos) and know it's from that seller and then no longer trust them with the ID. But the seller should just be honest about it. Infact, most commercial fossil sellers I have worked with have been a bit rude and not willing to admit their mistakes! I don't mean to generalize, as I have met some commercial sellers that are very friendly, but most tend not to be (I don't mean to sound ignorant or rude, I am just saying).

• Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, Kohler Palaeontology said:

I think the seller may think that people will see that photo (if they were the sellers' photos) and know it's from that seller and then no longer trust them with the ID. But the seller should just be honest about it. Infact, most commercial fossil sellers I have worked with have been a bit rude and not willing to admit their mistakes! I don't mean to generalize, as I have met some commercial sellers that are very friendly, but most tend not to be (I don't mean to sound ignorant or rude, I am just saying).

What I am trying to convey is exactly what you just said. Thank you for speaking on my behalf. I am not good at English and cannot express myself well. I am sorry.

15 hours ago, Satoshi said:

What I am trying to convey is exactly what you just said. Thank you for speaking on my behalf. I am not good at English and cannot express myself well. I am sorry.

No need to be sorry, It's all good! :dinothumb:

So when you have received it you can submit us your own photos of this fossil ;)

:popcorn:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg