Fullux

Howdy all,

Here's a crocodilian tooth I'm interested in. It was found in West Java, Indonesia. Miocene in age.

Looks like an alligatorid tooth to me. Anyone familiar with that area and the crocodilians that lived there during the Miocene?

s-l1200 (1).webp

s-l1200 (2).webp

s-l1200 (3).webp

s-l1200 (4).webp

s-l1200 (5).webp

s-l1200 (6).webp

I think positional Crocodylus sp. can have teeth like this as well. This isn't the same as the button-type teeth of Mesozoic crocs like Brachychampsa, and even then, that may not even be a reliable or definitive diagnosis either.

The two species of Miocene-Pleistocene crocs (that I know of) present in that deposit is a large morph of Crocodylus siamensis (syn. Crocodylus ossifragus) and the gharial, Gavialis bengawanicus. I don't think gharials have this morph? But the tooth is likely indeterminate regardless, but it could be a posterior tooth of Crocodylus siamensis if it's the only non-gavialid crocodilian around.

• I found this Informative 1

56 minutes ago, Kikokuryu said:

I think positional Crocodylus sp. can have teeth like this as well. This isn't the same as the button-type teeth of Mesozoic crocs like Brachychampsa, and even then, that may not even be a reliable or definitive diagnosis either.

The two species of Miocene-Pleistocene crocs (that I know of) present in that deposit is a large morph of Crocodylus siamensis (syn. Crocodylus ossifragus) and the gharial, Gavialis bengawanicus. I don't think gharials have this morph? But the tooth is likely indeterminate regardless, but it could be a posterior tooth of Crocodylus siamensis if it's the only non-gavialid crocodilian around.

Many thanks for this explaination. I've been looking for a tooth of crocodylus for a while, so that'd be pretty cool if this is one.

WOW ...  I happen to have found a very similar tooth in FLORIDA.. I guess form follows function. I believe it to be late Miocene.

b2024Feb14th_Alligator2.thumb.jpg.8b730e31da247d32a9c338caf4d23f62.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

WOW ...  I happen to have found a very similar tooth in FLORIDA.. I guess form follows function. I believe it to be late Miocene.

b2024Feb14th_Alligator2.thumb.jpg.8b730e31da247d32a9c338caf4d23f62.jpg

That's a beauty!

Currently working on a collection of crocodylomorph teeth.20241005_221858.thumb.jpg.9bcb62d5cb8b172f253a004d0114f285.jpg

Among my favorites is this rooted brachychampsa tooth from Montana.

20241005_222147.jpg