Possible reptile fossil or just a rock playing reptile??

G305AC

• New Members

Hello, I’m new here and I hope that I am covering all the bases. First off I’m not really fossil hunter more rock hound, but I have to say after looking at some of the collections on this site I might cross over.  Was camping and decided to go for a hike and see what I could find where I started finding the biggest geodes that I’ve ever found and happened upon this piece and the only reason I picked it up is because I thought it looked like a reptiles head. Never thinking that it actually might be but I’ve had numerous people tell me it’s what it is and they are not experts so I’ll leave it up you find folks to decide. Appreciate your time.

image.thumb.jpg.9aa730e872812faf6cf44c6622f01325.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.562804124a52495eb1557f9e9523e905.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.e3b47338b49ca308f7f399abcba7cf31.jpg

Rock with a mineral vein running through it.

Not a fossil.

Looks like some sort of metamorphic rock.

Neat look-alike, but not actually a fossil.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• New Members

Might be a dumb question, but is fossilized and petrified the same? Also, in your opinion, how is this not a fossil as in , what are some things that stand out that you face your answer on not disagreeing I’m just add some tools to toolbox little knowledge… I was was told whether it was good or not good information that the reason they thought it was a petrified or fossilized reptile, head, small lizard, maybe were the vertical lines going down on the bottom lid area and also where the throat would be coming out the back. Other people mentioned the prominent bone structure where the eyes are or would be and the difference between the top of the head and underneath the mouth.. again I don’t know a snarge thing about fossils or petrified stuff. The only thing I know that’s petrified is petrified wood thanks again.

Perhaps the only time I use petrified is in referring to petrified wood. I would be more likely to use fossilized. The process of fossilization generally is the replacement of organic material with mineralization after being deposited in sediments for a very long time. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

"Heads" do not fossilize, except perhaps through mummification. This is not mummified. The bones of the skull is what fossilizes. There is no bone here, no bone structure, no eye sockets, no teeth or even visible mouth opening. This is just a rock.

• I Agree 2

• New Members

Well,….i can live with a rock playin snake appreciate the input.  Thanks for taking the time to read and watch the videos and give me an answer. Thanks again.