ID Help on Morocco Phosphate Micro Shark teeth

MrGiggles008

Hello,

I was prepping out a mosasaur jaw and I was able to extract a few very small shark teeth. I was hoping some of the shark folks here could help me with the ID. 

Locale: Moroccan Phosphate Beds

Scale: cm

This is the matrix that the teeth came from:

Pic5.jpg.605bf9c36493325b055aaa178dbfc7fc.jpg

Here are all the teeth with scale (these are very tiny, I was pushing the limits of my phone camera)

Pic1.jpg.f7bdef522f0307ddb4c76171bc6f9ac5.jpg

Tooth Number 1 (Note: this one has a minor point curvature inwards.)

Pic2.jpg.366e218a6977cbc5dd628e049e5ca6e7.jpg

Teeth Number 2 (Note: these have a significant point curvature inwards. These also have a flat root allowing them to stand on the root as shown.)

Pic3.jpg.fd3becd72fcc6bea361f137ef4d2cfbd.jpg

Tooth Number 3 (Note: this one is a little busted up, wouldnt be surprised if no one knows this one.)

Pic4.jpg.f3c373de723ada879eafa61330f4198a.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Just adding a fun unconventional picture for scale to highlight how small we really are talking. Tip of 0.9mm Graphite Mechanical Pencil for scale.20241006_181602.thumb.jpg.ad29e31c13cd70f966f2621dea7bf0de.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

These two look like Premontreia subulidens. The matrix around your mosasaur was probably added. These don't belong in the Cretaceous. 

micro.jpg

Edited by Al Dente
  • I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

These two look like Premontreia subulidens. The matrix around your mosasaur was probably added. These don't belong in the Cretaceous. 

micro.jpg

That looks spot on. Interesting regarding the matrix being added. I know they do this alot and I even expected the matrix in lower part (the jacket) to be faked, wouldn't expect the matrix so close to the jaw to be different though. Thanks for the ID!

I agree with @Al Dente. #3 is some lamniform, perhaps a small odontaspidid. But also the teeth and their placement in your jaw seem more like a bony fish than a mosasaur, meaning it could be Eocene or Paleocene too. Do you have any pictures of the jaw as a whole?

The Tooth Fairy

3 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

I agree with @Al Dente. #3 is some lamniform, perhaps a small odontaspidid. But also the teeth and their placement in your jaw seem more like a bony fish than a mosasaur, meaning it could be Eocene or Paleocene too. Do you have any pictures of the jaw as a whole?

Yes I originally submitted the jaw for an ID but didn't really get too much of a conclusion. Some thought it looked odd to be mosasaur. Here are some pictures of it.

Edit: added link in following response instead of having clutter here. Sorry I'm still learning the forum thing.

Edited by MrGiggles008

Here is the link to the other post.

Al Dente had also responded to that one too saying it looks like fish dentary. (Thank you for all the responses btw). It's hard to believe something so large is a fish but if it is I would be super happy about it.

21 minutes ago, MrGiggles008 said:

Yes I originally submitted the jaw for an ID but didn't really get too much traction. Some thought it looked odd to be mosasaur. Here are some picture of it.

20240906_202625.jpg

20240906_202608.jpg

20240906_202452.jpg

20240906_202406.jpg

20240906_202359.jpg

20240906_202311.jpg

20240906_202234.jpg

20240906_202211.jpg

20240906_202204.jpg

20240906_184506.jpg

I’m quite confident that’s a teleost fish skull. Not sure which fish - perhaps a scombroid of some kind? That would fit with Paleocene/Eocene Premontreia teeth.

The Tooth Fairy

6 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

I’m quite confident that’s a teleost fish skull. Not sure which fish - perhaps a scombroid of some kind? That would fit with Paleocene/Eocene Premontreia teeth.

Thats awesome! Well I think thats enough consensus/evidence for me to conclude that it is in fact fish dentary from the Paleocene/Eocene. And thank you for the #3 Tooth ID too. I really do appreciate the input from everyone on these ID's.

36 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

That might explain the lack of enamel on the teeth....

5 minutes ago, jpc said:

That might explain the lack of enamel on the teeth....

Didnt know fish didnt have enamel, but now I do! I always thought the curved section at the larger end looks identifiable. This must be the muscle attachment point for the jaw, or where the cheek muscle would fit in for a fish.

Screenshot2024-10-07185709.jpg.8c504b661c628ff6cfd6ad4b36112370.jpg