Grayson County creek - October 8th, 2024

BudB

I have been absent for a while from the forums. My last trip hiking a creek/river was early spring, and I had enough pain in my surgically repaired knee afterward that I decided to wait a while before doing that again. Then we had persistent rains that kept the creeks flowing more than I wanted to battle with, then the brutal summer heat set in, and, other then a shark tooth trip in Florida in May (that was a lot of fun), I just didn't go.

Finally, the weather is milder, and we've had quite a dry spell, so I decided it was time to get out. I picked one of my Grayson creek spots that isn't too challenging to get to, just for an easy day on my knee. I knew that as long as it's been dry, and as easy as this spot is to get to, that it would be really picked over, and display worthy finds would be unlikely, but there's always interesting teeth to be found at this spot, so I just went and enjoyed my day. Sure enough, there were no spectacular finds, but I did find plenty of teeth. Here's what I picked up.

large.gra02401.jpg.a79c2f089c5deb27526dc

The most interesting find to me was this small tooth (?). Here are views of both sides of it. I've never seen this kind of pattern before. Is this even a tooth? Does anyone recognize it?

large.gra02403.jpg.d3c48aa9f362e48aa9b54

Here's something else you don't see every day, an old wooden wagon wheel in the sand.

large.gra02402.jpg.9769eb536fe7771945b1e

The knee feels great today. Time for another trip with a more challenging hike.

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 4

52 minutes ago, BudB said:

The most interesting find to me was this small tooth (?). Here are views of both sides of it. I've never seen this kind of pattern before. Is this even a tooth? Does anyone recognize it?

This is a gastropod.  I may not be able to confidently ID it in its worn condition and without a good look at the aperture, but I see a Turritella that looks similar.  There are probably other choices also.

• I Agree 1