Whale bullae and tooth from Antwerp, Belgium

Max-fossils

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted on the forum, hope you're all well! 
I recently found these fossils in the Antwerp harbor in Belgium and am struggling to get a more precise ID. The two tympanic bullae I feel are IDable at least to family level as they're both quite nice and complete (but I am aware that bullae are often not diagnostic enough to get down to genus/species. I found a 3rd bulla that has already been IDed by an expert as basal platanistoid). The tooth, my first thought was Squalodon but after looking at specimens online I no longer find it a good match, as the incisoriform teeth I'm seeing all have a crown with carinae and less strong grooves, and an immediate and obvious kink in the root, all unlike my (partial) tooth. Yet I haven't found a better match. 
These fossils are from the early Pliocene Kattendijk Sands Formation, but there's a chance that they've been reworked from the Miocene, Oligocene or Eocene (though preservation probably rules the latter two out as those tend to be very worn in Antwerp). 
Many thanks in advance for your help! 
Best, Max 

IMG_0480.jpeg

IMG_0481.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

IMG_0483.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_0474.jpeg

IMG_0475.jpeg

IMG_0476.jpeg

IMG_0477.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg

IMG_0479.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Hi, like you were expecting these bullae are hard to ID. All i can say about these is delphinoid bullae (Delphinoidea = Kentriodontidae + Delphinidae + Phocoenidae + Monodontidae).

Your whale tooth doesn't scream Squalodon to me, but i wouldn't entirely rule it out. But i'm thinking probably Physeteroidea (= Kogiidae + Physeteridae)

I know it isn't much, but i hope it helps..

Dries

• I found this Informative 1

Bulla,  Not whale... Dolphin..A Stenella Dolphin. See last page #9 of this thread 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Your tooth is something we do not find in Florida.  I do not recognize it and I am pretty good at whale teeth.  I do not think it is whale, and unlikely to be dolphin.. Clearly with the enamel, you have a tooth.  The very unique portion is circled in blue...  You match that and you will have your ID

UK_Toothmarked.thumb.jpg.227ed5cad8ee9a3651965ed98b54337b.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

@dries85 thanks for your input! Delphinoid is indeed a bit less precise than I was hoping but I guess I'll have to leave it at that for now.

For the tooth, I hadn't yet looked at the Kogiidae, but googling for it delivered an interesting result: some teeth from the Miocene of Italy that are currently identified as Physteroidea indet. 

image.thumb.png.e9b3ee60fe6577a9e5ac61f8eb1645ef.pngimage.thumb.png.6cad9ad0458bc9b661b4b43e99473905.png

image.thumb.png.0a5941bdcc0d46c1e28d1fdfa54f5690.png

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344566230_A_new_record_of_physeteroidea_from_the_upper_miocene_of_the_pietra_leccese_southern_italy_Systematics_paleoecology_and_taphonomy_of_a_fossil_macroraptorial_sperm_whale

It's not a perfect match, but the best I've seen so far. And this ties in with what @Shellseeker highlighted on my tooth - indeed, that weird texture at the base of the crown is what was confusing me and one of the main characters I was looking for when trying to identify my tooth. What do you think Jack, would Physteroidea indet. be a reasonable ID for my tooth?

And thanks for your input with the bullae too. When I said "whale" I meant it in the broad sense of cetacean (ie toothed whales + baleen whales), not just baleen whales :)  I was indeed already fairly confident my bullae were odontocete and not mysticete. However I don't find the Stenella earbones posted in the topic you shared to to match very well with mine... I think I might stick with Dries' recommendation of Delphinoidea indet.

Many thanks once again to you both for your help!

Edited by Max-fossils
removing duplicate image

Max Derème