Orthacanthus tooth?

leonardovaller

• New Members

Hello everyone, this is my first request, I've been a collector for over two years but naturally there are things I've been discovering along the way.

I recently purchased this specimen at a fossil show in Mexico City as "Orthacanthus tooth" and allegedly coming from the red beds of Texas.

What do you think?

IMG_20241010_150654.jpg

IMG_20241010_150626.jpg

I've never seen an Orthacanthus tooth anything like that.  My guess is that this is a mammal tooth root with the wear surface of the tooth worn down.

These are Ortho teeth.  The blades are broken (as often are) but you can see the vast difference in overall shape.  Although I dont have a scale in my pics, Ortho teeth are much much smaller than your specimen. If one covered the fingernail of my little finger, it would be a monster.

orthoteeth.thumb.jpg.1ee908c892b26ae89b4f5d5e5933a9b9.jpg

orthoteeth3.thumb.jpg.d23d7aa20012342d5c3d30455b0782c9.jpg

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

• New Members
55 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

I've never seen an Orthacanthus tooth anything like that.  My guess is that this is a mammal tooth root with the wear surface of the tooth worn down.

These are Ortho teeth.  The blades are broken (as often are) but you can see the vast difference in overall shape.  Although I dont have a scale in my pics, Ortho teeth are much much smaller than your specimen. If one covered the fingernail of my little finger, it would be a monster.

Cool, thats good to know. I also found its size suspicious.

The fact it feels like a solid whole piece does tell something? I mean, the cusps/roots dont look or feel hollow like mammal roots usually are.

Thank you.