Tucson 2025 -- First Time (Possibly) Going -- any tips

FF7_Yuffie

Before, Tucson was a pain to get through from Taipei. Involving long stop overs or very expensive. But new airlines are added now, so I can do a flight there to Tucson in a reasonable time.

So, just wondering if any one has any tips for my planning. I know it isn't at one place, but is spread out among multiple. But is there a specific place where the fossil dealers tend to go? Like are the fossil sellers usually all grouped in one section, or are they scattered around in and amongst the gem sellers. Looking at the 2024 map on their website--it looks like are scattered at all ends of the city, so since I can't drive I guess it will be public transport to get around. So it'll be a big help if the fossil dealers are all usually in one spot.

How long would you say to need there? I do plan on staying an extra few days to go to some of the other museums in the city. So I plan to get there a couple of days before, but for the fossil show tiself--can the fossil dealers be visited and that sort of thing in a day. or with it being spread around, will I need to set aside 2 or 3 days to see them all. Finally--card or cash and can delivery be arranged, or will I have to lug whatever I buy home with me. I plan really to just buy some rare teeth, rather than anything bulky--but you never know, something might catch my eye!

cheers

I haven't been there since covid but am hoping to go in 2025.  Most of the fossil dealers are concentrated at the Days Inn with many scattered throughout Tucson.  But I found that most of the quality stuff is at the Days Inn.  Hotel Tucson also had a lot of fossil dealers but that place closed and if I understand correctly most of those fossil dealers ended up at the Days Inn.  What I haven't been able to find out is where the Moroccan Village ended up.  There were a lot of Moroccan fossils dealer on N. Main and Helen St. but I understand that they are no longer at this spot.  Near there is the Mineral & Fossil Marketplace as well as the Mineral and Fossil Co-op.  Definitely worth the stop. 

There is a shuttle bus for the show so you should be able to hit most of the major spots.  

I also like Electric Park.  This is an outdoor venue. More of a flea marker atmosphere but there are a lot of fossils dealers.

22nd street has some fossils dealers but mostly non fossil stuff.  I have found that it is not worth stopping at the site if you are only interested in fossils. 

Officially the show opens on the 1st of Feb in 2025.  Most of the fossils dealers will be open by 29th of January if not sooner.

Joe

Edited by crinus
  • I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the info. Didn't know the fossil dealers opened earlier. That is good to know.

Which Days Inn is it? A website shows the one on N. Freeway as part of it, if that is accurate? I will look at hotels neatr there seems my best bet.

This info here about the fossil exhibits is I assume accurate?

https://tucsongemshow101.com/products#toc10

So pretty much plan my trip around hitting these locations. And the Days Inn one--oddly not listed under fossils here?

I quite look forward to going.