Chinese Fish or Plesiosaur Teeth?

Alston Gee

Hi everyoen,

My friend excavated two tiny tooth fossils from the Baitianba Formation (spanning from the Hettangian to Toarcian), Guangyuan, Sichuan, China, a few years ago. I acquired these two teeth last month and had the opportunity to examine them closely. I found that the teeth were roughly 7-8mm in length and exhibited unique striation patterns on their enamel. The two teeth from the Baitianba Formation share some similarities with plesiosaur teeth discovered in Woodbine, so I am wondering whether these two teeth might belong to a fish, plesiosaur, or something else.

e7fb2bfdaa46e1dccffb67114e96f4ab.jpeg

102e8075d7fb6b6e0b3e9858a71f5685.jpeg

3d07595afb46d08ad7f2532d39b1e2f4.jpeg

9ad4c6f7b6d22868d45cb75fe1adcfc3.jpeg

d2e8ff0086a89f67fa65ea267ff0b70b.jpeg

e17237f3c7d786c4f0112f5faf0aacf1.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

The tooth in the first picture looks like it has a distinct carinae which makes me think it's some kind of thalattosuchian / marine croc. But it could just be the lighting or angle.

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Kikokuryu said:

The tooth in the first picture looks like it has a distinct carinae which makes me think it's some kind of thalattosuchian / marine croc. But it could just be the lighting or angle.

Agreed! The presence of carinae clearly marks it as a freshwater croc tooth. However, I am uncertain whether the ridge running vertically along the middle of the tooth is an apicobasal ridge or carinae. If the first tooth is from a croc, isn’t it too slim?

3 hours ago, Alston Gee said:

Agreed! The presence of carinae clearly marks it as a freshwater croc tooth. However, I am uncertain whether the ridge running vertically along the middle of the tooth is an apicobasal ridge or carinae. If the first tooth is from a croc, isn’t it too slim?

These weren't conventional crocs like we know them today, or deeper into the Mesozoic. Thalattosuchians do have quite slender teeth. And some morphologies originally considered to be pterosaur or marine reptile around this time period (Lower to Middle Jurassic) have been reclassified as thalattosuchian.

• I found this Informative 1