Anyone knows what this is?

evarey

It appears to be a tarsal bone of something like a cow.  The big projecting triangle is a key feature.  This would be one of the bones (calcaneus, talus, and a few others) making up the ankle or hock.  The suggestion of cow is just based on the approximate size and general shape, I'd have to see it up close and with a comparative collection to get real certain on an exact animal.

• New Members
1 minute ago, ClearLake said:

It appears to be a tarsal bone of something like a cow.  The big projecting triangle is a key feature.  This would be one of the bones (calcaneus, talus, and a few others) making up the ankle or hock.  The suggestion of cow is just based on the approximate size and general shape, I'd have to see it up close and with a comparative collection to get real certain on an exact animal.

Wow thanks! If you want i can send you more pictures? My children are dying to know what kind of animal it is en how old it is.... if you have the knowledge it would be amazing!

Well, I'm not real familiar with the options for The Netherlands.  I assume this is a beach find and I believe those are often Pleistocene aged but hopefully one of our Dutch members will chime in with a more knowledgeable opinion.

I think if you go to this website which has a 3-D diagram of a cow centroquartal bone and spin it around, you will see that it compares favorably with what I can see of your.  Having it in hand should be even better to tell. 

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/centroquartal-bone-os-centroquartale-cow-b89bf884a3594c068a9d8b8fb9a2e192

If it is Pleistocene in age (~12,000 -2.5 million years ago), a bison is probably even a better choice.  At this website, you can look at the "Tarsal Centrale and 4th Distal Tarsal: Navicular C (Right)" a ways down the page and see if it looks more similar.  I don't know if the European bison's looked significantly different, but I doubt it.

https://virtual.imnh.iri.isu.edu/Osteo/View/American_Bison/661

• New Members

Wow thank you so much. I looked at the websites. I hope it is the bison, that would be so special! Ive sent the pictures to Naturalis in Leiden. I hope they can verify what is is and how old it is!