Judith River bone fragment, maybe Ceratopsian?

DAS_Rex

Was looking through some bits and pieces of bones I purchased some time back.  Mostly small pieces I picked up for craft projects and whatnot. One set of bits was labeled from Judith river formation, Montana and was marked brachylophosaur and hadrosaur by the seller.  The majority looked like tendon and had hadrosaur type texture. However this little piece stood out. It is pitted and veined just like my ceratopsian skull sections and is an almost exact texture match as well. The vein and bone pattern plus density look more ceratopsian than ankylosaur. The closest match I’ve seen in hadrosaur bones was from around the jaw but the texture and density still looks way off to me. I just wanted a second opinion if possible. 

IMG_2811.jpeg

IMG_2806.jpeg

IMG_2807.jpeg

IMG_2809.jpeg

IMG_2810.jpeg

IMG_2808.jpeg

Edited by DAS_Rex

Do hadrosaur bones preserve a texture like this often as well?  If so, I’d like to be aware of that detail. Have not really seen many porous and veined bones of that type. Closest I’ve seen is maybe claw core or bone from tooth rows. Marked largest veins in red lines and the red and green show the veined and sorta cross hatched bone surface. 
Again similar to a lot of ceratopsian I’ve looked at.  IMG_2807.thumb.jpeg.6670853975566b3efbf1aedd418fb08d.jpeg

Thank you for the reply. I agree with you too. The textures of the two are so similar it’s maddening. I wish the reverse side and total thickness was intact. Oh well, it’s a nice little chunk to add to my unknown critter shelf.  Lol the chunkosaur herd grows. 

1 hour ago, Kohler Palaeontology said:

The texture is kinda similar to ankylosaurid osteoderms I have seen.

Hypothetically, what sort of texture on the other side and thickness would be expected for Ankylosaurid/Nodosaurid if someone had a similar piece that one could see and measure those things?

• Enjoyed 1

This is just an opinion from what I’ve seen online and the few small specimens I have. So, take it as you will.  

lean toward a heavy built dense walled bone (inch or more, although edges can be thin) likely being ceratopsian. The opposite surface should look very similar with veins and whatnot. Plus a flat to gentle curve shape would be nice.

A thinner more porous piece I would lean more ankylo. The texture maybe be similar, but the possibility of crest or ridge features would help show a more osteoderm like appearance. Both can show the basket weave looking pattern, so that doesn’t help too much. 

again just my thoughts. Probably wrong on all counts but maybe someone else could tell you more. 

Edited by DAS_Rex
Spelling
  • I found this Informative 1