Mosasaur skull, Real or Fake

• New Members

Im 90% sure it's a fake considering the seller told me it possibly came from the Atlas Mountains, red flag, and it's being sold for a very low price, also red flag. He is contacting his seller to confirm its origins but has yet to hear back. Doing some research on similar skulls yields nothing similar besides other posts ive seen claiming fake, cobbled together skulls of dubious origins. Can anyone confirm my suspicion? More pictures will be provided if needed upon request. 

20241013_120902.jpg

20241013_120902.jpg

20241013_120144.jpg

20241013_120135.jpg

I'm no expert on spotting fakes, however this one is so bad it's screaming FAKE to me.... I think it's a composite of bone fragments and plaster/epoxy/equivalent, but the teeth are real.

I would not recommend buying this one...

• I Agree 4

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

• New Members
6 minutes ago, Jaybot said:

I'm no expert on spotting fakes, however this one is so bad it's screaming FAKE to me.... I think it's a composite of bone fragments and plaster/epoxy/equivalent, but the teeth are real.

I would not recommend buying this one...

That's what i was afraid of. Marine vertebrates are not my area of expertise, and even though my gut was telling me "bad", there was a small part of me hoping it was real. Expert or not i still appreciate your input! Thank you!

• Enjoyed 2

Agreed, it is very fake.

Im not able to spot any real bone. Only teeth are real.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

Wow, thats a Fakeosaurus moroccensis :default_rofl:

Thats a really bad reconstruction of a mosasaur skull, made from real teeth and random bone fragments that might also have been carved into the right shape, all held together with glue and plaster. Anatomicly this is also a disaster, and the tooth positions are also completly wrong, as the teeth arent even from the same species. I found teeth of Thalassotitan atrox, Prognathodon solvayi, and I also saw a Mosasaurus beaugei tooth somewhere in the jaw.

Please stay away from it

Edited by Brevicollis
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

My account and something about me :   

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

I'm just a young guy who really loves fossils  YOUTH MEMBER2.jpg

Agreed. I think Fakeosaurus would be the correct ID, the morphology seems to match. :default_rofl:

Teeth are real, the rest is not