Seaweed fossil in sandstone, found in Phillip island, Victoria

fossilgreenhorn

• New Members

Hi guys, im new to this forum and Im very excited to show off my fossil. Ive had it for years and i was just curious if anyone could help identify the species and possibly estimate 

the age? 
It was found along the coast lines of Phillip island in Victoria, Australia. It was found under a cliff (possibly fallen off from it?) there is exposed carbonised organic matter on the surface, there was also plenty of other similar looking seaweed fossils around. There are weblike structures in the centre of the plant matter (vascular structures?)
 when i shine my light on it it is reflective within the weblike structures (minerals or just carbon?) 
It am almost certain the rock is sandstone as it definitely smells like sand and is not as brittle as  shale.
The fossil is around 6.5 cm tall, 8 cm wide and 2cm-1.5 cm thick (thickest point-thinnest point) 
Im pretty sure this was posted under fossil ID but i may have posted it wrongly, if so please forgive haha 

IMG_48E8393E-762C-4C1F-84B7-4910C59595C1.JPEG

IMG_4540.HEIC IMG_4535.HEIC IMG_4532.HEIC IMG_4533.HEIC IMG_4536.HEIC IMG_4537.HEIC IMG_4541.HEIC IMG_4539.HEIC IMG_4538.HEIC IMG_4543.HEIC IMG_4542.HEIC IMG_4534.HEIC

• New Members

I can also send a few photos on the place it was found at, please, ask me any questions if i an missing any important details 

If those are web-like structures, it could be bone. Are we able to get higher quality photos of this structure?

• New Members
1 minute ago, Kohler Palaeontology said:

If those are web-like structures, it could be bone. Are we able to get higher quality photos of this structure?

Hi! Thanks for replying, here are some photos using artifical light, see if that helps

IMG_4546.jpeg

IMG_4547.jpeg

IMG_4545.jpeg

• New Members

Could you please post photos of where you found it? Was it actually on Phillip Island or at San Remo?

I am quite familiar with the material, and it is not bone. instead, it is coalified intermediate plant material

• I Agree 1