Real Psittacosaurus Skull?

croatianfossilcollector

• New Members

Is this a real Psittacosaurus Skull? It was supposedly bought in hong kong. I am sceptical due to some smothe surfaces and unantural color changes. It is supposedly from the Yixian-Formations. Shouldnt I also get documents proving its legallity?

IMG_0282.jpeg

IMG_0283.jpeg

IMG_0284.jpeg

IMG_0285.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

8 hours ago, croatianfossilcollector said:

Shouldnt I also get documents proving its legallity?

They don't exist. It isn't legal to export fossils from Mongolia or China (where the vast majority of psittacosaurus are found). If it was purchased in Hong Kong, it was likely from China (a common Chinese black market loop hole was that China allowed shipping fossils to Hong Kong or Taiwan which didn't enforce the Chinese ban).

Edited by JBkansas

• New Members
54 minutes ago, JBkansas said:

They don't exist. It isn't legal to export fossils from Mongolia or China (where the vast majority of psittacosaurus are found). If it was purchased in Hong Kong, it was likely from China (a common Chinese black market loop hole was that China allowed shipping fossils to Hong Kong or Taiwan which didn't enforce the Chinese ban).

Thank you for the Information! So basically in this instance I can buy this without any legal problems at the customs? Do you also know anything concerning the authenticity of the fossil? I am thinking it could be a composite, but I am not experienced enough to be sure 

Edited by croatianfossilcollector

1 hour ago, croatianfossilcollector said:

Thank you for the Information! So basically in this instance I can buy this without any legal problems at the customs? Do you also know anything concerning the authenticity of the fossil? I am thinking it could be a composite, but I am not experienced enough to be sure 

Don't see evidence of composite, it's either carved or, more likely, real. Problems at customs depends upon how Croatia/EU enforce Chinese fossil laws. There's also the potential for them to find you after delivery (the FBI visited me more than a year after I bought a Brazilian roach fossil from a large online rock store). 

• New Members
19 minutes ago, JBkansas said:

Don't see evidence of composite, it's either carved or, more likely, real. Problems at customs depends upon how Croatia/EU enforce Chinese fossil laws. There's also the potential for them to find you after delivery (the FBI visited me more than a year after I bought a Brazilian roach fossil from a large online rock store). 

Thanks a lot for all the information. What leads you to believe it might be carved?  I do think I am seeing real bone because of the surface (but I don’t know a lot as I am more into theropod teeth). Also would you mind elaborating more on the FBI story (if possible) as its quite interesting. Once again thank you very much for your imput!