Pterosaur, fish or plesiosaur tooth?

Alston Gee

Hi everyone,

This tooth has been part of my personal collection for some time without a clear identification. It was discovered during a field research project in Southwestern China. Recently, while attempting to clean it, the tooth accidentally broke into two pieces. I observed that the labial surface was smooth, while the buccal and lingual surfaces were covered with thick ridges. The ridges on the enamel were denser than those typically found on plesiosaur or pliosaur teeth. Additionally, the tooth was much straighter compared to most plesiosaur teeth. In this sense, would this tooth possibly be assigned to an indeterminatepterosaur or fish species?

IMG_4683.jpeg

d0867ad76c2f2d3038915dcc07959a78.jpeg

IMG_4589.jpeg

IMG_4590.jpeg

IMG_4591.jpeg

d8602b050db9df80c1b7061a39d9eef0.jpeg

The geological age of this tooth was traced to the Early Jurassic. I compared this tooth with those of a rhomaleosaur species (i.e., Bishanopliosaurus sp.) and found substantial differences in ridge thickness and curvature. I will also attach a few photos of the Bishanopliosaurus sp. for reference. 

bishano1.jpg

bishano2.jpg

great find! I would assume it is a type of Plesiosaur / Elasmosaur-tooth. If Bishanopliosaurus occurs in this region and stratigraphic position it might be a candidate. 

Is your tooth from the same region and age than the figured one?

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, rocket said:

great find! I would assume it is a type of Plesiosaur / Elasmosaur-tooth. If Bishanopliosaurus occurs in this region and stratigraphic position it might be a candidate.  Is your tooth from the same region and age than the figured one?

Yes, this tooth was from the same region and geological period as Bishanopliosaurus sp., but the curvature and thickness of the ridges are quite different. As you can see, Bishanopliosaurus sp. typically has a more curved tooth with less dense ridges.

There are more dinos than marine reptiles for pterosaurs known from the Shaximiao-Formation. The Pteros would not fit, Angustinaripterus has long teeth but when I compare it with their "Relatives" (Dorygnathus) from our own collection it would not fit.

A "plesiosaur"-type would fit most, but, as mentioned, it is not a complete tooth, so...

• I Agree 1