Calvert Cliffs Area, MD. Advice on Calvert Cliffs Beach, Matoaka, Flag Pond or Others?

Tmac9

• New Members

Going to the Calvert Cliffs area bright and early tomorrow and looking for advice on the area with the best chance for the coveted megalodon tooth! I've been to the Calvert Cliffs Beach several times and love the dark colored teeth and bone that come out of that specific area. The only reason I am considering the earlier fossil layers up in Matoaka & Flag Pond is that they offer much more area to explore.

Do I stick to the Calvert Cliffs Beach or venture north to get more beach combing area at Matoaka/Flag Pole. 

I'll add some photos to this post of the haul!

I’d say go to Matoaka, it seems like I see more people having better days there, along with more invertebrate fossils. Plus you can walk for miles along the cliffs, unlike Flags where you have no access to the cliffs, and all you find there are “float fossils,” or fossils that get swept up onto the beach by the current. Not to say that it isn’t a productive beach, I’ve seen some good posts about that beach on here.

It should get better and better at Matoaka as you go further north towards Scientists Cliffs, so more opportunity for something good. Low tide is around noon! Never been, but I hope too soon at some point this year!

Edited by Atoothsatooth42