• New Members

Comparison of Lower Carnassials of Cave Lion, Tiger, and Snow Leopard

Here is a comparison between the lower carnassials (m1) of the three Panthera species that I own.

ad0b4c615b52e3f8d8be9a7adf507960.thumb.png.bee0e2bf927ffa40fc8921e6908eddc3.png

1. Size: from smallest to largest:

• Snow Leopard: 1.86 cm
  • Tiger: 2.54 cm
  • Cave Lion: 2.7 cm

2. Morphology:

In image 1, the red circle indicates the metaconid and the green circle indicates the talonid.

1. The cave lion m1's metaconid is very well-developed (it should be more developed than modern lions), while the talonid is almost nonexistent.
  2. The snow leopard m1 is noticeably much smaller, with a relatively pronounced but underdeveloped metaconid, and no talonid.
  3. The tiger has an even smaller metaconid than the snow leopard, but the talonid is very well-developed.

The snow leopard and tiger, both from the Asian lineage of the Panthera genus, are closely related. Perhaps more closely related to the snow leopard would be Panthera blytheae (though some find the validity questionable) and related to the tiger would be Panthera palaeosinensis (also validity issues since some people think that it's synonymous with P. zdanskyi).

So far, I have collected lower carnassials from three members of the Panthera genus, but I feel there may not be many more that can be purchased. My current aims are to acquire the lower carnassials of P. palaeosinensis/zdanskyi from the Equus fauna of Gansu, China,  and a leopard m1 from the Stegodon - Ailuropoda fauna from southwestern China.

One day, when I stop having to pay student loans being poor, I can look for the lower carnassials of jaguars and American lions; I don't have high hopes for other Panthera species.

Panthera (leo) spelaea:

c01967aa63b7fae60e821c377ff1efe6.thumb.png.7d8271e8be7584f64e2c3b72d9692465.png

Panthera tigris (probably amoyensis or acutidens):

52cbe4e41cda3d05e87a130557454e28.thumb.png.315854e220109018b6c417d056314b27.png