Shark tooth identification (Belgium)

Flandricus

• New Members

Hi all!

Recently we went to a dreged pile of sand near the port of Antwerp, Belgium. We dug up lots of nice teeth, but there is 1 teeth in particular we cannot identify. Im somewhat new to the realm of fossils and shark teeth and im not sure what types of sand these exactly are. People speak of a mix of Neogene sands.

After talking to more experience people they said it could be C. Hastalis / C. Plicatilis, but Iam not sure.

The teeth itself has clear blades/cusplets, has no serrations and (except for the very tip) is razor sharp. So I dont think it had any serrations that are worn off.

From the photo of the back, it looks like it had a thin  Bourlette running along the teeth, but it has worn off.

Here are the photos:

IMG_20241021_143947.thumb.jpg.f51f300c1601b8bf18fda9364619f33c.jpgIMG_20241021_143756.thumb.jpg.092e8b0df19fbddd4f36649bc783bc47.jpgIMG_20241021_143643.thumb.jpg.e2917f8b1e50529d1f49a56f59f77917.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Flandricus
  • Enjoyed 1

13 minutes ago, Flandricus said:

After talking to more experience people they said it could be C. Hastalis / C. Plicatilis

I agree.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

• New Members
30 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I agree.

Thank you! So these (what looks to me as) cusplets/blades have nothing to do with another spieces?

What you are seeing is just a bit of flaring out of the enamel where it meets the root. This is quite common in hastalis/plicatilis lowers, which is what you have here. You are probably used to looking at uppers which for some reason are a lot more common than lowers.

• I found this Informative 1